What's new

Hitachi Ultravison 60" LCD vs Sony Grand Wega LCD 60" (1 Viewer)

MikeDro

Auditioning
Hopefully someone can shed some light on these two tv's. I have been reading some pretty negative things about the 60" LCD grand wega sony tv's and it's starting to make me steer clear away from them. Although they have a great picture and look nice I'm afraid to purchase one, unless the new ones have solved these issues. The hitachi ultravison on the other hand is a TV i can't seem to find everywhere. It appears only a few places actually sell that TV and from seeing it in person IMO it by far is the best LCD i have seen. I've read a few reviews and everyone has raved about this tv. Is there anyone here who can maybe give me some information and or advice regarding these two tv's? In that case maybe there are some other brand LCD's that im over looking that are also great performers. I'm interested in 50-60" LCD only.

Thanks for any help.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
The Hitachi LCD is a stunning performer when completely calibrated. From the factory, it has it's share of problems like most sets; but edge enhancement, DC restoration, black crush, and grayscale can all be dramatically improved via the service menu. Some of these things are buried deep in the service menu, and it took some experimentation to find them. Geometry looks good and there's no y/c delay, unlike the Samsung DLP's I've had experience with. The only slight flaw was that the user control color management and color decoding adjustments seem very complete at first glance (since you can adjust the amount of red, magenta, blue, cyan, yellow, and green), but try as I might I could not get perfect color decoding performance. It was a minor issue, though.
I should be calibrating one of the Sony LCD's in the near future, but as of yet all I can say is that Sony makes mighty fine CRT sets.

MikeDro

Auditioning
Well that's great to hear that you also have noticed the same type of beauty that Hitachi set puts out, thanks for the help! :D

MikeDro

Auditioning
Well i ended up going with the KF60WE610 Grand Wega Sony set :D I got a hell of a deal on it and couldn't pass it up. Plus i guess the bulb issue has been solved on these tv's. Hopefully my purchase was a smart one.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Mike,
I have been looking at this set vs. the XBR950 since it is much cheaper. What kind of deal did you get or should I be looking for? Let me know how it works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks