Hitachi Ultravision Calibration W/ Avia

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Louis J, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Louis J

Louis J Auditioning

Major Newbie here. Just purchased a Hitachi Ultravision 51S500 and obviously want to get everything I can out of it. Out of the box picture is great but want to start calibrating it. My question is...I have loked into the Avia software for calibration and was wondering if it is worth getting or if anyone has some great settings for this TV, but I wouldn't expect that. So do I go for the Avia or would I be throwing my money away?

Hitachi Ultravision 51S500
    Onkyo SR700
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD
    Cambridge SoundWorks Newton MC200 Speaker System

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to HTF! In my signature below is a link to the HTF Beginner's FAQ and Primer. Many of the most common questions are answered there.

A chapter was recently added on calibration discs, including AVIA. It should answer all your questions:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...92#post2000792

M.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

In addition, no one could tell you what settings to use, as every set (even if the models are identical) is slightly different and every environment is completely different. your settings will depend on your configuration, your space and your setup.

-Vince

4. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

IMO Calibration is the most important thing you can do for your TV, and the cheapest / easiest thing.

Set looks 10X's better than when I was shopping for it, and I calibrate/converge every month still, since the sets kind of new.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You *absolutely* should buy a calibration disc. As vince stated, it will be different between sets, and definitely different in different room and lighting conditions, which is why you can't use other people's settings.

Calibrating your video is NOT a tweak, but a NECESSITY!

6. Louis J

Louis J Auditioning

Thanks for the advice and the links to get everything going. Just waiting on the calibration disk to show up in the mail now. Went adhead and ordered the Digital Video Essentials disk. Thanks again.