What's new

Hitachi TX100 & OPPO vs S77 vs S97 = Macroblocking?? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering which of these players would be recommended for a Hitachi TX100. The DVI of the TX100 is HDCP compliant. I understand that the HDMI to DVI shouldn't cause any serious problems, but I am not 100% sure.

1) Is the 10 bit HDMI to 8 bit DVI conversion concerning rounding down errors and loss of below black levels not an issue?

2) Which player is better between the Panny S77 vs S97. (I suspect the S97, but by how much etc).

3) Is the newest OPPO better than either of the panasonic players?

4) Does anybody see macroblocking with any of the above players and a Hitachi TX100?

thanx

:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Not to many TX100 owners here, pretty sure there are a couple though.

Be patient for responses on this one. I have not found the black level issue to be a DVI/HDMI only problem, but can be in general between two devices that either default to or use different standard levels for it. It does seem more of an issue with the digital video connections though I'll agree. I have seen the issues on Component Video quite a bit as well, but at least it is usually able to be set on one device or the other to get it working right with component video.

I have seen digital connection combo's that just wont jive on the black levels, so it is probably a good question to ask.

Not that I have any good info for you on it though. I'm just hanging out on here instead of working all this week, short week, I'm in I.T. and more than 1/2 the office is out.

I'm bore'd, but they won't let me off a few days, oh no.. :frowning:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Heheh...ok...

I am not sure how things work all around. I actually use a Panasonic CV 51 dvd player 480i via component cables to an iScan Ultra connected to my TX100. I know my CV51 has two settings for the black level, and I suspect it toggles between 0 and 7.5 IRE, but I have no idea if it works properly or not. I don't even know what the point is about "below black" levels. I have not been keeping up. I am upgrading my projector, and so I am both making sure that the new owner has no problems with his HDMI dvd player connecting to the DVI input of my TX100, and I am also wondering what it is going to mean when I connect DVI to the HDMI of my future TX200.

I guess I need to get down to some serious calibrating to really see how things may work.

later...and don't fall asleep at work :p

John S

Senior HTF Member
Generally it is ok and works correctly. Just never know when two devices don't play well together. Are there any firmware updates available? If so, load those and it should help by all accounts.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It's only a hunch, I just keep reading of people that get some of their DVD/HDMI oddities solved by loading current firmware on different devices.

I don't even know if you can generally load new firmware on a display / projector?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
True. I know it is possible to update firmware on projectors, but its not an easy consumer function. Sometimes it requires the equivalent of taking the projector in for "service" in order for the firmware to be updated. At the very least, you need to have a USB or RS-232 port on the projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks