What's new

Hitachi to develop a super dvd that can contain up to 200 films !! (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Wow! If these things really work they way they sound, perhaps instead of storing 200 standard definition movies, they could store 100* high def movies (and screw blue-laser!).

* - I have no idea what the exact space comparison is between SD and HD, I'm just making a point.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Now we finally have a mechanism to carry "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" season sets.

That is just an amazing capacity.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like FMD technology or something similar, but I haven't been able to find more info about it (I can't claim to have looked EXTREMELY hard for it, though).

I wonder were DavisDVD got this info from? They didn't mention their sources.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Announcing from Paramount, The Complete Star Trek Collection. The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise, all theatrical movies (am I missing any?). Plus documentaries, commentaries, interviews, and countless other features. All on one disc. (Okay, maybe it would take two or three discs).

MSRP: $1999.99

Just be careful not to scratch it.

The powerful DVD rack/storage manufacturing lobby will never let this come to fruition. :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Gee, that would make trading really tricky: "Well, you like 155 out of the 200 on mine, but I only want 96 out of your 200":D .

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
I don't know anything about the technology but what's in that paragraph, but if this were to be used for HD content, it sounds as if you'd better make sure your HDVD player handles layer changes really well. Nothing like a "slight pause" every five minutes to pull you into a movie.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I smell "Superbit II" titles coming from Columbia in 2008

Oh boy, ANACONDA in 2160p resolution, with a googlophonic soundmix in 128bit PCM audio :D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, two major questions..

1)How much would this super disc cost?

And 2)how many hours of DVD Quality images can we fit?/Will it work on current DVD recorders?

This would be perfect for archiving entire TV show SEASONS on DVD, even if navigating the menu would make it a pain in the ass ;).

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If it was for one incredibly well done HD movie with 8 channel discrete DSD surround with no compression I'd be all over it!

I don't want 200 crap vision titles on one disc, just super quality for one.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course it wouldn't work on current DVD recorders. Anything with this kind of capacity would have a smaller pit size and multiple layers

Its application will most likely be in the commercial sector, not the public

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yo! I got yer "Super-DVD" right here!
(I always wanted to say that)

I'd be happy if they just picked a standard for HD-DVD. Although with commercial availability 4yrs away, it seems about right for the format. 1080p minimum for every film seems cool.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Video Store Magazine has more info about this format...but not much more:

Hitachi is getting quite innovative these days. Get ready for them to show off a PC computer that resembles a Gypsy's crystal ball, displaying graphics in 3-D (if programmed to do so) and responding to inputs that include touch and even breath! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks