Hitachi tech support: progressive scan dvd player not needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamerson, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Jamerson

Jamerson Auditioning

I have a 43' Hitachi HD-ready television - up until last week I have used a $50 Apex dvd player. I have recently upgraded to a Samsung progressive scan output player with moster cables wired to my component input jacks on my set. I didn't notice any change in picture quality - if anything its worse, so I called Hitachi's 800 number for help. They tell me that progressive scan players don't do anything because Hitachi sets convert even normal dvd player output to progressive scan, and may be even better than a real progressive scan player because it does it in 540p instead of 480p. Does this guy know what he's talking about? Should I go return my new player or could I be setting something up wrong?

Thanks ~

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Saying that something up-converted to progressive scan is as good as or better than something that is natively progressive scan is just not true.

That said, Hitachi sets up-convert even 480p material to 540p.

If you feel that the picture quality is not up to snuff, you may want to try re-calibrating your video settings since every player has different color tendencies. Also, not all progressive scan players are the same, and finding a player w/ the DCDi chipset from Faroujda would probably be a good idea. They can be found at very reasonable prices. The most reasonably priced is probably the Panasonic RP62, or it's predecessor the RP56. I got my RP56 for $135 open box at Circuit City when I purchased my Hitachi 43" HDTV

If your TV is 4:3, you may want to try the anamorphic squeeze trick. By setting your TV to wide-screen squeeze and your DVD to wide-screen mode, you get all 540 lines of resolution in the wide-screen area, w/out lines being wasted on the black bars at top and bottom.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Since almost all HDTV's these days de-interlace incoming standard video, a progressive DVD player is not absolutely positively needed. But on average, progressive DVD players de-interlace film source material better than TV's. I hate to say it but IMHO nowadays progressive players and HDTV's are on average but equals when it comes to de-interlacing non-film material.

When 480p is scaled to 1080i or 540p in the TV, the progressive scan player loses most of its advantage over doing the de-interlacing elsewhere.

Progressive DVD player output: Video comes from MPEG decoder, stays digital going into de-interlacer, converted to analog to exit the player and go to the TV, converted back to digital for scaling.

Interlaced DVD player output: Video comes from MPEG decoder, converted to analog to exit the player and go to TV, converted to digital for de-interlacing, stays digital for scaling. Number of A/D conversions is the same as above.

(If the TV dropped into 480p or 960i for DVD input, there is no need for scaling or the A/D conversion preceding it. De-interlacing still needs a digital signal going in. So using a progressive player has fewer A/D conversions and therefore better quality).

Since in your case the same TV with the same scaler is being used, the difference in quality is probably the de-interlacer.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My advice here is to "audition" a bunch of progscan players. I did just that, looking for the best picture, even comparing it to an old interlaced player. Sonys, Toshibas, JVCs, Panasonics, Philips visited my RPTV and the the JVC won...