Hitachi RP LCD pincushion question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ralph Jenkins, May 4, 2006.

1. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Last week, I had the light engine replaced in my Hitachi 50v500 RP LCD TV due to a large red cloud that had appeared on the screen. All seemed well, but today I noticed a couple of problems while viewing a 4:3 program. First, the 4x3 picture was way too far to the left. I corrected this in the service menu by moving the horizontal position all the way to the right. However, the bar to the left of the picture is not straight; it curves a little at the top (I think this is the "pincushion" effect). I'm wondering if there's a way I can adjust this in the service menu. I don't know what many of the settings in there mean, so I don't want to go fooling around haphazardly.

Does anyone know if there's a way to correct for pincushion in the service menu? I'm hoping there's an easier way than adjusting/replacing the light engine, because that thing's a real hassle to get to. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    there is no pin cushioning control
    there has been some geometry error on all DLP / LCD RPTVs I have worked on. It is the nature of the beast.

regards

Gregg

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You wouldn't want to correct this electronically on a fixed-pixel display anyway, it's like keystone on a fixed pixel display, you want to avoid that like the plague.