Hitachi or Samsung 32" HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george king, Feb 8, 2002.

1. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I need the experts' advice. The 27" JVC died. I have managed to get a roughly $1300 allocation for a new TV from the wife.

The price leaves pretty much the Hit or Sam 32" sets. First, this is a "transitional" set. We will be moving to a larger house in 2-3 years, which WILL have a "game room" for the HT. At that time, I will be getting a proper widescreen HDTV (and hopfully the DVI/Firewire issues will have been settled). This set will then go to the bedroom.

I have seen both sets at BB and CC, and the pictures are pretty comparable.

Hitachi - Does 3:2 pulldown, and has nice color rendition. However, the letterbox area is only 810 lines, and it has a curved screen (the room has lots of windows, so glare may be a problem).

Samsung - Flat screen, nice picture, and according to the site, the letterbox area is 1080 lines. However, it does not do 3:2 pulldown, so artifacting will probably be an issue.

Anyone have any recommendations/experience with these sets? Are there any "issues" I should be aware of?

Thanks a bunch!!

2. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I am in the same boat as you. I was looking at the Hitachi, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba or an RCA. Here is what I have on these sets(Please! if anybody has any opinions please share [​IMG] )
    Hitachi-good color rendition, cheap, curved screen, only 1 component input
    Samsung(Im looking at the latest model TSL3295HF-they have many models & Im not sure if the latest does 3:2 pulldown-Didnt Sound & Vision do a review of this set? Perhaps someone with that issue can fill us in?)-cheap, looks good, flat screen, only one component input.
    Panasonic: middle of the line price of this group, flat screen, 2 component inputs, I heard this set is horribly calibrated out of the factory.
    Toshiba: Higer price of this group, flat screen, awesome picture, 2 sets of componet inputs
    Rca: the have a new model the D36120 that is like the MM36110 but has anamorphic mode & a line doubler. Middle of the line price with a 36inch tube, curved screen, tons of inputs/outputs.
    Thats all I have-Please add your comments

3. george king

Ted,

Your assessment is the same as mine. The Samsung does not do 3:2 pulldown. I did not consider the panasonic all that much, because of all the geometry problems that have been reported with the set.

I was not aware of the new RCA set. Will have to check that out.

Let me know what you decide.

4. Francois Plouffe

Hello,
    I will share my experience since I own a Samsung TSL3293HF. If you search for post under my name, you will find some (many [​IMG]) comments I made here, so I will be brief here.
    Lack of 3:2 pulldown: either I don't see the artifact or it is not really noticeable on such a "small" screen.
    My general appreciation is that I love this TV. The picture is nice and colorfull. The 16:9 option is quite good. Geometry is also good, only small horizontal bow on top.

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

George,

I have the Hitachi 32udx10s (the model I assume you are considering). If you have space limitations, this set or the Panny 32HX41 or Tosh 32hfx71 would be good considerations. The Samsung was too wide for my available space.

Pricewise, I couldn't beat the Hitachi for $1100 at CC. Plus, its older brother, the 36sdx01s got some good reviews over at AVS.

It'll do fine for a bridge set until I can get a big screen and move the HT to a different room.

6. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Im still a bit fuzzy on 3:2 pulldown. When does it come into play? When im watching movies on my DVD player or when Im watching standard tv? Im interested in the samsung & from what I can tell it doesnt do 3:2 pulldown(anybody have the Sept. issue of Sound & Vision?)-if I have a progressive scan dvd player that does do it then am I OK?

7. george king

Ted,

If you have a progressive DVD player, you will be fine for DVDs, but not necessarily on other sources. You can do a search for 3:2 pulldown or inverse telecine. It is somewhat complicated (synching frame rates for different sources), but essentially 3:2 pulldown eliminates many artifacts.

Hope this helps. Went to look at the sets again, and I leaning toward the Hitachi for the better color rendition (in spite of the curved screen).

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I went out to look at TVs again. The Samsung's pic look exactly the same as the sony & panasonic models-I couldnt see any "artifacts" on the Samsung that the others didnt have. Hitachi must have some sort of deal with CC to make sure they get the best feed to their TVs. I couldnt believe how much better the hitachi looked over every other HD ready TV there(sony, philips, panasonic). What are the advantages of having a curved screen vs a flat screen?

9. george king

A flat screen will have less glare from lights. However, if your room does not have alot of windows, then a curved screen is not that big a difference.
    Hope this helps. I will probably be getting the Hitachi this week, thanks for everyone's help.[​IMG]

10. Rick Radford

Fellas, one of my main concerns in getting the digital set was how analog cable would look.

I ran the Hitachi alongside a JVC 32260 for about a week to compare. My analog cable was much sharper on the Hitachi than the JVC. But YMMV here depending on how good/bad your cable feed is.

The other factor was the difference in an anamorphic DVD on the digital set vs the std. def set. There was NO comparison. The Hitachi blew away the JVC.. and the JVC had a pretty decent picture, imo.

Frankly, looking at sets in the stores is tough because they probably have the contrast cranked up and are using a High def in-store feed that's split a million ways into all their sets. I don't know how you can begin to evaluate a set under those conditions.

BTW, 3:2 pulldown on the Hitachi is active in the movie mode.

HTH.

11. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

BTW, 3:2 pulldown on the Hitachi is active in the movie mode

Elaborate please.

12. Rick Radford

Ted,
    I don't know if the Hitachi user manual is available online or not. If it is, look at page 58. In Theater modes setting, 3:2 pulldown detection is only enabled when you chose the movie setting.
    As I understand it, if you have a progressive scan DVD player, you do not need 3:2 pulldown in your TV too. I leave this mode off on my set.
    The manual actually has a pretty decent explanation of the need for 3:2 pulldown:
    >Theatrical movies are shot on film at 24 frames or still pictures per second, instead of 30 frames or 60 fields like video. When film is transferred to video for television viewing, the disparity between the two frame rates must be reconciled. This involves a process known as 3:2 pulldown.<
    There are some good sites online that do a great job explaining that in detail. Unfortunately, I can't find the one I was going to refer you to.
    I really need to organize my bookmarks someday. [​IMG]
    HTH.

13. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I had a great member(kevin t) scan the review of the Samsung-it doesnt have 3:2 pulldown on thier latest model but it did get a good review. I am leaning towards the samsung or the hitachi. One of my local electronic giants is having a 10% over cost sale next weekend & they dont sell the hitachi. They do have Samsung, RCA, sony & toshiba. If I cant find a good deal at thier sale Ill probably get either the samsung or a 36inch hitachi.

14. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I have a Hitachi 36UDX10S and have nothing but good things to say about it.

What few negative things I can say aren't that big of a deal. The curve of the screen isn't that much and doesn't seem to affect my picture, at least to me. It has only one component input, but since I only use it for my dvd palyer, it isn't a big deal for now. Later on, I can get a switch that can allow me to have more component inputs without having to change cables all the time. If you are using the componet input, then you only have 2 other inputs for everything else (not counting coax, of which there are two)one in the front, the other in the back. All of the inputs have S-video and composite along with left and right audio, including the #2 input which has the component in. Overall, those are my only two issues with the Hitachi, but the lack of inputs is the only major one with me.

The good things are many. Beutiful picture. As was said before by Ted Ross, the Hitachi had a better picture in Circuit City than any other CRT monitor in the store. Best Buy didn't have this Hitachi model where I live, so I couldn't compare it there. Overall though, it seemed to have the best picture to me. It has a noise reduction setting in the video menu which works great on those analog channels that have a bit of snow or background noise. It has 4 Theater modes (TV, Movie, Sports, and Music) which allows you to set the video and audio settings to your liking for just about anything you will use the set for. The movie mode is the only one that activates the 3:2 pulldown as previously mentioned. When using the component in, you can switch between 16:9 or 4:3 mode to have the letterbox effect or to fill the screen. While I haven't used the 4:3 mode much, it seems to do a good job of "filling the screen" without too much distortion. The comb filter is excellent. I have a Motorola DCT 2000 for my digital cable which has an S-video out, but I get a better pictire using the coax out to the TV and letting the Hitachi filter do the work.

While the Hitachi 32/36UDX10S isn't the best HD monitor compared to the 16:9 rear projection HD monitors avalable, it is definately a good choice for those looking for a transition TV or are using it to view a variety of sources other than DVD and HDTV. The price is probably the best thing about it. So if you are looking for a TV that is HDTV ready and not looking to spend a large amount, then it is a good buy.

15. Rick Radford

NickT,

Just curious if you've done much comparison of LB vs anamorphic on your 36udx10s?

I don't think I've tried (intentionally). For a while, I had my DVD player in 4:3 LB mode, not realizing that I eliminated the squeeze by doing so.

It did seem that the player and TV seem to choose the correct A/R when in 4:3 LB mode. I'm always having to switch the TV between 4:3 and 16:9 mode with the player in 16:9 mode.

IAC, I concur with your analysis of the Hitachi. I'd call it the value choice in a bridge set.

16. george king

Anybody have any experience buying refurbished units. I ran across this web site
    http://www.uecweb.com/about/index.htm
    The company seems to be a division of Hitachi that sells factory refurb units. The reason I ask is that they have the 36" HDTV monitor for $950 + $165 shipping, which is less than a new 32" unit.
    Thanks for the help.

17. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I'll throw my two cents in reguarding Panasonic HD sets.
    I'm a little Panasonic biased. I have a Quasar 27" set and a Panasonic RV-30 DVD player. For a composite hookup, the picture is amazing. I've been researching televisions and related products for a while (just getting into it) and I didn't want to believe the geometry problems with the Panasonic HD sets. After spending quite some time in Circuit City... believe it. They're there. It's apparent. End of story. Now, the picture quality and color on these HD sets are nothing short of excellent. However, the geometry issues kind of spoil all of the good options. Panasonic really should consider fixing this problem before they expect to sell many HD models. This is one addition to the many reasons I have to not get HD at this point. I'm sure there are varying opinions, but I'm just not ready to deal with the hassles I may run into. [​IMG]

18. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

george, my experience with refurbished products is that I will only buy refurbs from the factory-never from a second party. The ones I got from the factory work great, but the 2 items I bought from a second party company that claims to be working with the original company were junk.

19. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    Rick, I have my dvd player set in 16:9/wide mode and let the TV handle the squeeze. I tested it out using both letterboxed and anamorphic dvds and it is what works best for me. The difference isn't noticable on nonanamorphic dvds, but there is definately a difference with anamorphic dvds. Using The Matrix dvd for example, I used the scene in the "Lady in Red" chapter where Morpheus freezes the scene expt Neo and himself. If you compare the waterfountain in the background, you can see a difference between the letterbox and 16:9/wide modes. The difference isn't blantently striking, but if you look at the water in the background, it is blury in letterbox and sharp in wide mode.

The other benifit to setting the dvd player to wide is tat you view the film with the Hitachi in 16:9 to see it in OAR and if you want to "fill the screen" then you change the Hitachi to 4:3 mode. This is handy if you want to view the menus and special features that are 4:3 the way they were ment to be seen. All you have to do is hit the aspect button on the remote and switch to 4:3 mode on the TV. If you are using letterbox on the dvd player, then the 16:9 mode on the Hitachi creates a distorted and vertically skinny picture that is unwatchable.

Hopefully that helps you out.

20. Rick Radford

I was mainly curious as to your experience, Nick. We always watch our DVDs in OAR.
    I've fiddled a bit with the RP91's settings, but haven't really compared the LB mode with the squeeze on the same DVD. We're generally too busy enjoying the show for me to play. [​IMG]
    I like having the a/r button on the remote.
    My one gripe about the Hitachi is the 8 step process I have to go through to turn the TV sound on or off.
    Yeah, I know.. macro. I keep waiting for the perfect, affordable remote to show up. [​IMG]