Hitachi on the blink ........... HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill_D, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Looking for some guidance on my Hitachi 53SWX10B.

Working fine for almost 5 years and this evening the damn thing looks like one of the 3D movies and I don't have any of those glasses.

Is it a bulb? a chip or something?

What to do? What to do?

I guess I could call in a service.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please post your resolution.

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It's a common failure on RPTVs. The convergence ICs have failed. It's generally a $150 - $200 repair. It's one of the few repairs that could be done in the home, but that depends on your local servicers. If you need to take it in, they travel well. After replacing the parts, some set up easily, some require extensive alignment. Few servicers would want to spend hours in the home doing a full alignment so don't be surprised if everyone wants it in the shop.

Changing the entire circuit board is not required, avoid any servicer that says that is the way they fix them.

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Thx Steve.

4. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

First stop, Mastertech quoted $450 -$550. Ridiculous! That is halfway to a freshly refurbed unit of similar capabilities at UEC. Also inlcudes $100 out of service area fee. They only do house calls.

Next stop, Normans who I had great success with in the past when lightning fried some of my gear.

5. Steve Berger

RE: Mastertech, while I have no specific info on them, considering their age (1997!) they sound like a reinvented type of servicer that swaps whole boards. (either from the mfr or a third party rebuilder [​IMG] ) They have no shop and probably no real technicians, only board jockeys. If they can't get a board, they will declare the set unrepairable immediately. BB locally is telling people over the phone that if you have a set over 3 years old, they'll come out and for $96 tell you they can't fix it.

6. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Thanks Steve,

I waited a while to get it fixed since I have another setup for movies. But, in the meantime I sent several packing who just wanted to sell a new board plus installation plus in-home visit fees. Highest quoted price was $700. I guess he thought I was Boo Boo the fool. Anything over $350 or so and I was going to buy a new set.

Finally, ended up calling Best Buy and they sent one of their contractors who opened the Hitachi up pointed to the burned up resistors feeding the stk chips. He promptly did his thang replacing the resistors and stk chips and I slapped $260 on him and voila!

7. Steve Berger

Hopefully he used the improved STK392-150s instead of the original STK392-110s (service bulletin and parts suppliers provide the update notice.) At least those are the most common ICs used in Hitachi sets.