What's new

Hitachi & Lite-On jump on HD-DVD bandwagon (1 Viewer)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Oh this is getting VERY interesting indeed... you think we are on the front lines of a movement, Pete?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
somehow I don't see Lite-on and Hitachi as being brands that get most peoples juices flowing. I know Pioneer and Panasonic have people that are firecly brand loyal....but Hitachi?

still, as long as the quality of the actual products are good, i guess its not a bad thing.

If quality is highly variable though, and they aren't as conscientious with their firmware updating as Tosh has been, it could end up being a negative to the format as a whole. Cross your fingers, I guess.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Getting two low ranking companies onto HD's side shouldn't be something to jump for joy about, that's for sure.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Hitachi is by no means a low ranking company. I've lived in Hong Kong for years and Hitachi is HUGE out in Asia. There aren't many Hitachi items here in North America but if you go to a city in Asia, Hitachi manufactures a variety of items such as: electric shavers, notebook computers, refrigerators, Air-Con's (I have 2 Hitachi A/C's in my apartment in HK), washing machines, DVD camcorders and all IBM labeled hard disk drives are in fact Hitachi HDD's. This is on top of all the other things Hitachi manufactures other than electronics, such as elevators, construction equipment, auto parts, power tools, etc. Trust me, Hitachi isn't low ranking. :D

P.S. Hitachi is also majority shareholder of Maxell, hence Maxell will probably produce blank HD-DVD media somewhere down the road.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I believe Hitachi is the largest conglomerate in Japan with Toshiba in second place.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

According to the article the Lite-On's hope to sell for "sub-$1000"; the Tosh is already available for "sub-$500".

No need to wait!

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

yeah, this makes no sense to me.

who in their right mind would buy a lite-on that's more expensive than Toshiba?

If lite-on were $250 or $300, I can understand it. Considering how much of a P.O.S. lite-on dvd recorders and players are, it's hard to see people paying a "sub-$1000" amount for it, when the toshiba is "sub-$500" as you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks