Hitachi LCD Projection TV or Sony LCD Projection TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ToddJ, Apr 15, 2004.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I am debating between buying the 50" Hitachi LCD projection TV and the Sony LCD Projection TV...Does anyone have a preference between the two? Which one looks better when playing DVDs? Which one looks better with regular television (non-HD)? Does either one have the option to see several channels on at once (where it has many little picture in pictures-showing what is on several stations at once.)

2. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I have been doing some major tv shopping lately and I was just at Circuit City yesterday and they had both of these tvs sitting right next to each other with the same high def feed on both. Both sets were also the 50" models.

I came away feeling the Sony looked better without a doubt. Overall the picture on the Sony just had more detail and purity to it. The Hitachi looks nice but just doesn't quite get the same detail and clarity as the Sony.

So, in terms of picture I had the Sony well ahead. However, in terms of options the Hitachi clearly has the advantage over the Sony. The user menus had lots of nice little touches and things to tweak. I'm not saying these options changed the world but they were nice and I wish Sony would offer the same. The Sony menus do look nicer however if that sort of thing matters to you.

Overall, in my opinion the picture quality is most important. The Sony clearly wins that battle IMO.

Dan

3. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

have you tried it with a DVD player hooked up to it? that is the true test for me since I hardly watch any television....

4. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Todd

I saw the same two models with regular digital cable feed and the hitachi had the charpest picture, Sony picture was too soft IMO.