What's new

Hitachi HIT 51SWX20B (1 Viewer)

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
I think it's the best under 3K tv on the market right now.
Check out Cnet.
Link Removed
Kevin Miller of ISF did a great article on it.
AVS forums has a lot more postings going on about this new set. Everything I have read is positive except perhaps the strech mode.

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Is the 51uwx20b essentially the same set? I know it has a different type of protector shield and less audio.

N

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
NO...

NOt even close. The SWX uses higher quality and brighter CRT system. It uses HD-WIDENECK CRT's which allow for a smaller beam size and increased resolution.

SWX also has anti glare shield. Also has AVnetwork. Better remote. Better speakers. Better styling.

The difference is in the picture. SWX looks better and has a much higher quality out of the box. Everyone I have seen has had superior focus and geometry and grey scale. The UWX is entry level and seems like it gets less tweak time at the factory. I guess you get what you pay for...

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
What is the equivalent 4:3 model for SWX - is it SDX or FDX (where SDX = XWX?). They do have a UDX so I am figuring on the latter?

N

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
THe 51swx20B retails for $2800 at circuit city (to give more info). You can try and talk them down to $2300.
I've heard of other people talking the larger version down from $3200 to $2600.
Good luck,
ELmO:star:

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
$2300 is a bit low... just so you don't get your hopes up.

If you want some freindly advice,

Stores need a reason to drop on price, almost all the stores are not allowed to negotiate the price without reason, and the employee can lose his/her job doing it.

Price matches are the most effective way to get this done since it makes it "legit" and the employee avoids getting in trouble for it.

A quick online price scan should reveal some better prices than MSRP. I would use those as a basis for you price and purchase. If you can't find it that low online, then you not gonna get it that low in the store. Be ready for them to tack on the shipping too... It's only fair.

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
My 51SWX was delivered this morning. I was really nervous about buying a projection TV. I've always been a "tube man", and have recently been spoiled by the sharp, detailed picture on my 36" Sony Wega. But I've now got hi-def signals and lot of DVD's crying out for a larger screen. I had never been impressed with the quality of even some of the very best rear projection sets in past years, but many of the new sets finally looked good enough for me to take the plunge. I really "over researched" my purchase, comparing brands, models, advantages and disadvantages of many different sets. I spent hours at a couple of stores just comparing picture quality. I needed to finally make a decision. I found the nearly perfect combination of screen size, picture quality, and features on the Hitachi 51SWX20B. This is only the first day using the set, but so far I'm very happy with my decision. Hi-def via DirecTV looks fabulous of course [especially HDNet], S-video input from TiVo looks better than I expected, and DVD is super! The only thing I don't like [but was prepared not to like] are the stretch modes. But I can definitely live with them considering all the other advantages this set has. Now...my eys hurt from too much TV today! I'm going to bed!

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Conrgrats on your new purchase....

Did you know that New Hitachi has an "ISF" sub header in it's service menu to make ISF calibration easier?

I found it the other day, and was pleasantly suprised.

Has anyone yet calibrated or had calibrated this new set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks