Hitachi--great customer service

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tony Int, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Since so many people in person and on the web are so quick to talk about horrible stories regarding customer service (myself included), I thought for a change I would share a good story.

In Nov. 2004 I received as a gift the Hitachi 50v500 LCD RPTV. The picture (after adjustments) was beautiful. After about 2 months of use, one day when I turned the set on the picture was all messed up. Overly bright, all washed out looking. I called a Hitachi authorized repair center and they came and fixed it, no charge since it was under warranty. It just involved using the remote to access the "hidden" menu and resetting things. The service guy said that this model was prone to this issue, but it should be fine.

All was fine until last week when upon turning on the tv it there was a pink hue over the entire screen. I called the repair center again and they came out. This repair man once again accessed the menu and reset things. This time I had to pay a $50 service call charge. No biggie since it was worth it to me to get the tv fixed. This service guy told me that the first generation of this model has a bad lamp engine and it will stop responding to the menu resetting and it will need to be replaced at some point. He said that they cost in excess of $1,000, closer to $1,500 and labor about $400!

He said to call Hitachi and see if they would discount or send a new lamp engine at no cost.

Well I did so today. I explained the problem and the customer rep who aid that since it was 7 months outside of its warranty, that they would cover the labor but not the part. I (very nicely) told him that I understood his position, but please let me speak to someone who can make the decision to send the part for free. He put me on hold for about 1 minute. Came back and said he spoke to his supervisor who authorized the part replacement for free! They faxed my service center the documents to order the part. It was that frickin easy.

Now I know some people will think that since it was a manufacturing defect they would HAVE to send the part for free. But the reality is they don't, yet they did so very willingly. Nice.

2. Duncan

Duncan Auditioning

That's great! So would you recommend skipping the store's extended service plan in favor of Hitachi warranty service at a lower cost?

Thanks

3. Tony Int

Tony Int Agent

Well Duncan I can tell you that I have never purchased them for any item I have bought (many tv's stereo components, computers, etc) in the last 20 years and have never regretted it. But without knowing one's situation I would never recommend or not recommend the extended service plan.

I prefer to take the "risk" and not buy one cause I never trust that they will cover what the salesman says it will or that the repair process would be as easy as they present it and I feel like I am being played for a sucker. I just do research prior to purchasing and figure that the manufacturer's warranty is good enough. However, I must add that I do this knowing that if an expensive items does bite the dust out of warranty and I have to pay a lot for repair or replacement I can readily afford to do it

4. Duncan

Duncan Auditioning

Ok, thanks. yeah, you gotta wonder how much of a commission they get on the extended service plan. In most cases it's all profit I suppose.