Hitachi Color Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimTandy, Jan 26, 2003.

1. TimTandy

TimTandy Auditioning

I just got my Hitachi 57TWX. I went into the ISF setting and corrected the red push using AVIA. However I'm finding that I have a lower Color user setting than most people (28). So I'm curious when you use ISF is it using whatever user settings (Color, Tint, Contrast, etc.) you last had the TV set on and you are just fine tuning those settings or does the ISF make adjustments based on factory default user settings despite what you have them set at. If it is the former, that would explain why my color is so much lower because I think it was at 30 when I went in and I found I had to raise the ISF Color setting (not the user setting) quite a bit.) So does it matter what your user settings are and if so should you set them before or after doing the ISF calibration?

Also, I'm finding despite verifying Red, Green, and Blue are all at 0% (no push or pull) when I look at the ISF test pattern, I could swear a lot of the time greens look too bright and a tad yellow. Anyone else notice this?

Last, the color balance on regular TV channels (Cable) appears to vary greatly from channel to chanel, so it seems pointless to try to adjust color for cable TV since it isn't a consistent source like AVIA on DVD is. As a result, I turned on the 'Auto Color' setting in Advanced Settings for watching TV only. Is that a good idea?

2. TimTandy

TimTandy Auditioning

After some more experimenting I can answer my own question.

Before doing the ISF calibration you should set your user controls (color, tint, contrast, etc.) back to factory defaults, then adjust them after doing the ISF calibration. I did that and wound up with a color setting of 41. Everything looks excellent. Greens still seem a little oversaturated but I think that is the movie.

I watch cable TV with color set to about 30.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Tim,

The bright, yellowish greens come from the Hitachi, especially after you've eliminated red push. It's just part of the character of the brand, at least right now.

Jan