Hitachi 65TWX20B, where to hook up an X-box or maybe PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hef, Dec 6, 2002.

1. hef

hef Auditioning

if i get the x-box which video imput would be best to plug into for the best picture and sound? i also have a HD cable box and a DVD player going into the back of the TV, which one should go where and which will get the progessive scan?

2. Jeff Drumm

Jeff Drumm Extra

Only inputs 1 and 2 provide component connections, which are required for progressive scan. The XBOX supports progressive scan for games, but not for DVD playback, and you have to have the Hi-Def AV Pack for component output connections.

So if your DVD player supports progressive scan and you want PS support for game playing, you'll need to plug your DVD player and XBOX into inputs 1 and 2 (which goes into which doesn't really matter), using component video cables.

Of course, if you want to take advantage of DTS/Dolby 5.1/etc. sound support, you'll need a receiver that supports it. If it's got component video switching built-in, then you can plug your XBOX and DVD player into that and switch between them via the receiver. That way your video and audio switching happens automatically, at the same time.

--
    - Jeff

3. hef

hef Auditioning

what to do with my hdtv decoder then? where will that go if i need the 1 and 2 spots for the dvd and x-box? does this mean i will need three inputs(but i only have the #1 and #2 on my rear of the tv)? i'm planning on getting the denon AVR1803 receiver soon also, would that be able to solve the 3rd input problem then or no? iwant to keep my HD decorder and have the PS dvd player, but i want to make the most out of the xbox when i get it so how do i go about having all three hooked up?

sorry this stuff is fairly new to me, your info is very helpful to me. thanks in advance

4. Jeff Drumm

Jeff Drumm Extra

The Denon 1802 has two component video inputs, and to take advantage of its switching capability you'll need to plug its video output into one of the two inputs on the SWX. This effectively gives you 3 component inputs, two on the receiver and one on the TV.
    If your HD box provides a DVI connection, you won't need to use any of the component inputs, though. I don't have a HD receiver yet, so I'm not up on what they offer for output options.
    For what it's worth, I don't know that hooking the XBOX up via component video will enhance the game playing experience significantly. My son's is connected through the Enhanced A/V pack, which provides an S-Video and composite connection along with a TOSLink audio output. Connected through an S-Video connection, the quality is pretty damn nice.
    The downside of using the Hi-Def pack is that games supporting 1080i will probably not have the same frame rate as when running at 480i. The Hitachi's line doubler is pretty good; I think you'll find the difference minimal, and with the S-Video connection you'll still see the frame rates you're used to.
    The real impact will be from taking advantage of the surround output from the XBOX. That enhances the gaming experience like you wouldn't believe . . .
    --
    - Jeff

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Hef. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    You have a problem that many people are discovering: not enough progressive/HD inputs.
    Some receivers offer COMPONENT video switching. And if you connect up a HD/Progressive source - it will appear to work. But many receivers do not correctly handle the higher frequencies of HD.
    This Receiver Comparison Chart shows that the first receiver that has 3 HD video inputs is the Dennon 4802 for $2500. While it's a great receiver, thats a lot of money for just this feature.
    There are some outboard switch box's that can help. This Inexpensive Switching Solution thread shows two units for about $180.
    With one of these switch box's, I'd plug the DVD Player, HD Cable output, XBox to the inputs, and send the single video output straight to the TV. I'd take the coaxial-digital output and run it to the "DVD" coaxial-digital input on the Dennon. Now you just turn the Dennon to the "DVD" input for all the sound, and the switch box takes care of the rest for the video.
    Hope this helps.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

There should be no downside to using the hi-def pack. Even if the few 1080i games end up being slower, you can always play them in 480p, and there should be no speed difference then since things aren't generally being rendered as interlaced.