What's new

Hitachi 61/53 SDX01B Calibration (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Has anyone got the nerve to do a manual calibration for this model or has already done one and lived to tell.
I have the instructions, but was waiting for someone to share the ordeal with.:emoji_thumbsup:

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Earl

I have the Hitachi 53UDX10B and am trying to get up the courage to do the convergance.

Could you send me youre instructions to do so and I can send the ones I have, it may be of help to both of us.

Thanks a lot

Matt

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have a manual that I will scan and send you a JPEG or ocr scan of the pages needed.

This is what I found so far!! We can add to this as we find stuff>

Manual Convergence for the 61swx10b

1) Receive an NTSC signal.

2) Press Magic Focus to begin magic focus

3) Press magic focus again during the magic focus process to get the ‘stop’ screen

4) While stop screen is up, press STATUS on the remote control (R/C) to bring you to DCAM mode and the service grid (64 point grid)

5) When you first get in here… I believe red is the selected color by default (it is flashing).

6) To choose other colors to converge, use the following buttons on the R/C:

a) “STATUS” - Green

b) “0” - Red

c) “ANT” – Blue

7) Start from the center of the screen and work your way out on one color at a time. I adjusted red across the whole screen to match green. Then I switched to blue, and adjusted that to green as well. After you adjust blue, you may want to go back and adjust some red again… etc. until the convergence looks good.

(a) Use 4, 6, 2, and 5 on the R/C to move the cursor position(dotted lines).

(b) Use thumb stick to move the convergence point color.

** There have been other posts in here to tape together the color filters found in the Avia DVD to help converge lines more easily. I have used this method, and it works well for adjusting to a greater detail. Basically, you put the red filter next to the green and adjust your red to the green line both horizontally, and then vertically. Then you do the same with the blue next to the green. Some people recommended you should be at normal viewing distance. I did mine from just a few feet back from the set. Maybe my eyes aren’t as good… maybe I just felt like it worked better this way. There are some other posts also recommending using binoculars. I think it’s great that people suggest things to make the process easier… but my girlfriend would think I was insane if she saw me with binoculars on the couch adjusting the convergence. I don’t know… whatever works best I guess.

8) I did not adjust the green at all. I use the green as the guide and did not adjust the location of any green point. This is highly suggested unless you have geometry problems.

9) When going along the lines and adjusting, you may run into the problem of getting an ‘S’ curve on the line. You’ll know if you get there. Basically, no matter what you do to adjust the line to be converged, the middle of the line between the points will not straighten out (it bends between the points). To fix this, the manual recommends going to the (7x5) mode which gives you less points to adjust. I had this problem, and the solution worked. There is also another mode (3x3) which gives you even less points. Basically, if the set looks good, you only fine tune it in (13x9) mode (64 point). If you have serious problems, the grids work as:

3x3 – ‘coarse’

7x5 – ‘medium’

13x9 – ‘fine’

10) To get to each of these patterns use the following on the R/C: (only if you need to)

1. (3x3) Press “STATUS” 5 times (only works when DCU is in uncorrected state)

2. (7x5) Press “0” 5 times

3. (13x9) Press “ANT” 5 times

11) If you adjust the 3x3, then you should go to the 7x5, and then the 13x9. You get the point… depending on where you start, work your way up, and always finish on the 13x9

12) When finishing up the 13x9 mode, to get additional ‘grids’ on the edges of the screen, press the PIP CH button on the remote control while in the digital convergence adjustment mode (DCAM). Fine tune the edge convergence as necessary. To exit, press PIP CH again.

13) When convergence is acceptable, press PIP MODE to write data to ROM memory. ROM WRITE? is displayed to alarm system that ROM will be overwritten with new data. Press the PIP MODE button again to write displayed data to ROM.

14) DATA WRITE TO ROM will take approximately 4 seconds and no picture will be displayed.

15) Green dots will be displayed when operation is completed.

WARNING: YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO COMPLETE MAGIC FOCUS INITIALIZATION!!! THERE HAVE BEEN MANY POSTS THAT PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITHOUT DOING THIS STEP BECAUSE THEY LOOSE MAGIC FOCUS!

16) Press MUTE to return to convergence pattern, then confirm again convergence is acceptable.

17) Press PIP MODE and then PIP CH to initialize Magic Focus. The initialize operation starts and several windows appear during this operation. It takes about 30 seconds or less.

18) When green dots appear, initialize operation is finished.

19) Turn power OFF.

21) Wait a few seconds. Turn the TV on, and you should have your normal signal. Press Magic Focus button just to make sure the magic focus still works (and that you did the last few steps properly)

Note: I wouldn’t recommend doing any of this unless you have the service manual. There are some things in there that I have not included that you might need. (if something goes wrong during convergence you will get error codes to tell you what went wrong, CONVERGENCE ERRORS pg. 56) Don’t get scared… none of this happened to me… but it’s a good idea to have the manual in case!

Hope that is what you were looking for... and work didn't really lighten up any... I just felt the need to write this after the posts...

for everyone out there, the manual I use is good for the following units:

53swx10b

53swx12b

61swx10b

61swx12b

43uwx10b

53uwx10b

61uwx10b

It may be the same for a few other models, but this is what i know for sure (written in the manual).

Mark C. I have the 43UWX10B when I try to get into the 3x3 or 7x5 patterns it stays in the 13x9 I see no change when I follow your instructions what could I be doing wrong. I too have had the lines that will not straighten out.

Thanks for any help

as far as i can remember (i haven't done a convergence in about a month), when you switch to the other modes, the grid does not change. if you move the convergence points around with the number buttons, you should see it skips over some of the points, leaving you to adjust only selected points and not all 64.

is this true for your set too? did you try moving the points around? if you tried this, and there was no change, then maybe you never got there (to the 7x5). Also keep in mind that the last mode (3x3) can only be accessed on an un-adjusted grid. i haven't needed to get to this mode, but i am assuming this means you must start with a regular signal, get into DCAM, and the first thing you do (before any changes) when you get to the grid is press the "STATUS" button 5 times for the 3x3 mode.

anyway, let me know if this helps.

I need advice on how to handle this... When I went to check the convergence every point and line was converged except I cannot get the left most verticle line to converge for red. the second, third, fourth and fifth points from the bottom of the screen are to the right of the convergence line the red will not go to left without pushing the other vertical lines to the left out of convergence when I go to the medium convergence mode stated above it only causes the convergence to go WAY out wack!!!! Also, the red convergence lines start get very jumpy(jiggly) when I attempt to do this. The picture looks good with the exception of red bleed through on the very edge of the left side of the screen where this is a problem. Any help will be greatful.

I have prob... i did all what you said to do to adjust the convergence manually but i forgot the last steps and i have no more MAGIC FOCUS what should I do..... I have the service manual but they dont say anything about how to fix that ???? HELP ME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who have left out or missed the last steps for whatever reasons... to get to the convergence grid and to reinitiate Magic Focus, you need to access the Service Only Switch (actually a button). You have to remove the speaker cover and large wooden panel to access the sky blue color button. Generally it should be located on the bottom LEFT corner of the opened access panel and it is very small.

I guess you have already been warned of the dangers of doing any service menu/convergence menu adjustments(it is easy to really screw up the TV and may void the warranty). When doing manual convergence adjustment, just remember that you can turn off the TV(or better yet, unplug the AC) to restore it back to original condition, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT WRITTEN TO THE DIGITAL CONVERGENCE MEMORY.

I too did this adjusment on my Hitachi PTV. First, there are 2 modes. One mode can be adjusted while tuned to any RF input, and the other can be done only when tuned to a 1080i signal(via the YPbPR inputs on back). It is nice to use a crosshatch pattern for these inputs.

First enter this mode as explained in your manual, page 49. You can take off the front cover to the TV and press the convergence button as shown on page 60 of the manual(but be careful not to touch the CPT board, they will shock you). But a much easier way to enter this adjustment menu: press the MAGIC FOCUS button on the front panel. Magic focus will start, but then press this button again to stop magic focus. You will see it says STOP on the screen, at this time press the STATUS button on your remote(while pointing it at the TV). This will enter what they call 'Dynamic' mode, which is the manual convergence mode.

Once you are in the adj. mode, you should start with 7x5 mode, it is faster than 13x9 mode and gets all the lines to match pretty closely. As they say, start at the center and work toward the edges because when you get to the edges you may notice when you adjust a point, it slightly affects another edge point.

One thing to remember, don't adjust the green. You want to use green as your reference, and match blue and red to the green. If you have both of the jig screens(as shown in the service manual, page 48), then you can adjust green too. If you want to get everything perfectly linear(lines perfectly straight and spacing even) you would need the jig screens, but usually this isn't necessary. Just matching all the colors exactly makes a HUGE improvement.

Remember, before you 'WRITE TO ROM', make sure nothing is totally screwed up because once you write, you cannot go back. I have seen people try this themselves and somehow saturate convergence to the point that there are huge bowed lines across the top of the screen. This was virtually 'unfixable' until they reset the DCU(set it to uncorrected state). Then a complete adjustment is necessary, and they had to buy the jig screens(which are pricey).

Once you write to ROM, it is nice to have a crosshatch or similar pattern you can go to and confirm your convergence is good with an actual signal. You can do this by pressing EXIT on the remote, 5 times. It takes you back to your input signal. Press it again 5 times to return to the Conv. adj. menu. If you do this with the EXIT button, don't press any other buttons while you are out of the conv. adjustment menu(such as trying to change the channel, because it can affect your conv. adjustment). I find for best convergence, I go back and forth between Conv. adj. menu and crosshatch input signal several times before I have the conv. exact.

When all is done, remember to INITIALIZE the DCU so your Magic Focus will work again.

So my advice, be careful. Change a little at a time, then save it to memory. If you change something and it seems strange, just unplug the TV and it will go back to your last saved data(kind of like backing up a file on your PC). Good Luck!!

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ok, Guys!! The only reason I would do this , is if I am bored to tears, no ISF near by, or a screwed up set. Two of the categories are meet, but my set is fine. I just want to make it better! Right ! Famous last words.

Do you need a special disk to do this or just play any DVD while doing the adjustments?

PS// I noticed in my service manual that the sdx uses different buttons for some of the steps on the remote.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
ZZ

2.12 Digital convergence adjustment

Note: If replacing a PRT, DY, etc. perform auto-digital

convergence first. (Press front panel MAGIC

FOCUS switch when in normal customer mode).

This can eliminate the need for a complete

digital convergence alignment.

Adjustment preparation

(1) Receive an RF or video signal.

(2) Set controls to factory preset.

(3) Install jig screen on the set.

(4) Note the center of the video pattern displayed.

This is necessary to match dotted lines

(adjustment point viewed) and actual point that

is adjusted and displayed by the video signal.

(5) Press the service only switch (on

POWER/DEFLECTION PWB). The pattern

displayed is now the digital convergence mode.

(6) When performing a complete digital

convergence adjustment CLEAR DATA in RAM.

(With the TV set off, press and hold the service

switch located on the Power/Deflection P.W.B.

and then press the POWER button).

Adjustment Point

S/N(NOTE: Checking point for the periphery of picture.

Ze

Note: If only minor adjustments to convergence are

needed, the jig screen is not necessary. Use

digital data stored in memory and one color as a

reference (red, green, or blue). DO NOT CLEAR

DATA and WRITE to ROM memory.

6#&6#&$.HKDFG$E"KJDJ"C$HOgLKDMFCD

Adjustment preparation

(1) Position adjustment - This will move an entire

color. Use this adjustment to match colors at the

center of the screen. (Active video center from

external signal and physical screen center

should now match from phase adj. 2.2.).

(2) Use the buttons below to switch color to adjust.

“RECALL” - Green

“0” - Red

“INPUT” - Blue

Adjustment procedure

(1) Press the FREEZE button. Extra horizontal lines

appear to confirm raster position mode.

(2) Use the thumb stick to adjust position.

(3) Press FREEZE again to exit raster position

mode.

Notes: (1) Other functions cannot be accessed when

in raster position adjustment mode. Press

FREEZE and confirm extra horizontal lines

disappear to exit raster position mode.

(2) Press MENU to switch between all colors

displayed or adjustment color and Green

only.

6#&6#6$0"CSFGVFCRF$E"JCD$HOgLKDMFCD

Adjustment preparation

(1) Select color to adjust.

“RECALL” - Green

“0” - Red

“INPUT” - Blue

(2) Use 4, 6, 2, and 5 to move the cursor position

(dotted lines).

(3) Use thumb stick to move the convergence point.

(4) Three adjustment modes are available:

1. (3x3) Press “RECALL” 5 times (only works

when DCU is in uncorrected state)

2. (7x5) Press “0” 5 times

3. (13x9) Press “INPUT” 5 times

For touch-up, only the (13x9) mode is necessary.

This will adjust every cross-hatch intersection point

on the screen.

For complete adjustment, start with (3x3) mode. This

will adjust center point and eight edge points only,

but will greatly reduce adjustment time. Then use

(7x5) mode, and finally (13x9) mode to finish

convergence.

If “S” distortion appears between cross-hatch lines

repeat (7x5) mode to change calculation process

while adjusting to remove distortion, then return to

(13x9) mode to finish touch-up convergence.

Adjustment procedure

(1) Receive any NTSC signal.

(2) Start adjustment at the center of the screen.

(3) Continue adjustment at next closest position.

(4) Adjust center area first, ending with edge

sections.

(5) Press INFO button to perform calculation

operation. This process will take about 2

seconds and no picture will be seen at this time.

(6) After interpolation, check convergence again

and repeat (1)-(5) if necessary.

(7) When convergence is acceptable, press PIP

MODE to write data to ROM memory. ROM

WRITE? is displayed to alarm system that ROM

will be overwritten with new data. Press the PIP

MODE button again to write displayed data to

ROM.

(8) DATA WRITE TO ROM will take approximately 4

seconds and no picture will be displayed.

(9) Green dots will be displayed when operation is

completed.

(10) Press MUTE to return to convergence pattern,

then confirm again convergence is acceptable.

(11) Press PIP MODE (ROM WRITE) mode, then

press PIP CH to initialize sensor data positions.

Adjustment procedure

(1) Receive any HD signal.

(2) Repeat steps 2~11 above.

Notes: (1) Display only green for easier adjustment

and match to jig screen. Press “MENU”,

THEN PRESS “RECALL”.

(2) Perform interpolation and data write to ROM

after green adjustment. Once green has

been confirmed to match jig screen, the jig

screen can be removed. Do not readjust the

green color after jig screen has been

removed. This is now your reference color.

(3) Display green and red only and match red to

green.

(4) Display all colors and match blue to green

and red. Touch-up red color if necessary.

(5) Existing DATA in ROM can be read by

pressing the SWAP button 2 times. This

data can be used after replacing a

component (CRT, DY, etc.) Where complete

convergence adjustment is not necessary

be careful not to overwrite this data.

DO NOT write cleared RAM data into ROM

or a complete convergence adjustment will

be necessary. Remember to try MAGIC

FOCUS before starting convergence

adjustment to minimize adjustment time.

PROGRESSIVE MODE

HD MODE

Adjustment preparation

(1) Start adjustment after the power is turned on for

20 minutes or more.

(2) The vertical incident illumination on the screen

should be 20 lux or less. (Room should be dark).

(3) Set the video settings (CONTRAST: max,

others: center) to standard condition.

(4) The blue defocus and cut off adjustments should

be completed.

(5) For low light white balance adjustment, input a

white raster signal level of 0.286 Vp-p (Video

input level).

(6) For high light white balance adjustment, input a

white raster signal level of 0.715Vp-p (Video

input level).

(7) Set the drive adjustment VRs (red and green) to

12 - 2 o’clock position.

(8) Set Video Advanced Settings-Color Temp-erature

to COOL.

Adjustment procedure

(1) Select the input signal for high brightness (Video

level = 0.715Vpp).

(2) Adjust the high brightness white balance using

the drive adjustment VRs (red, green).

(3) Select the signal for low brightness (Video level

= 0.286Vpp)

(4) Adjust the low brightness white balance using

the screen adjustment VRs (red, green, blue).

(Visually adjust).

(5) Check that high brightness white balance is still

obtained. If it is not, return to step (2).

NOTE: When adjusting low level white balance, turn the

screen VRs counterclockwise. The cut-off

adjustment should already be completed and

the screen VR’s should not be increased past

the level set at cut-off. Since the

phosphorescent surface of the CRT is likely to

be burned, be careful.

White balance = 10800° K ± 0 MPCD

Color coordinate = x …… 0.278

y …… 0.280

6#&($)LN$NGJVIDCFKK$HOgLKDMFCD

Adjustment preparation

(1) Start adjustment after the power is turned ON

for 20 minutes or more.

(2) Receive the color bar signal.

(3) Set video conditions to factory preset.

(4) The vertical incident illumination on the screen

should be 20 lux or less. (Room should be dark).

Adjustment procedure

(1) Go to “Sub Brightness” adjustment in I

C

ADJUST mode (press Input and Power button

on Control panel at same time), using thumb

stick ;%and then thumb stick .

(2) Then adjust “Sub Brightness” using thumb stick

;% to increase or decrease the value,

according to figure. (Visually adjust).

(3) After adjustment, press MENU button to exit I

C

ADJUST mode. (Data is stored in memory).

Note: When selecting SUB-BRIGHTNESS mode the

m icrocontroller sets the CONTRAST and

COLOR to MIN. automatically, but make sure

that the other conditions are center.

Directly observe the screen by eye without using

a mirror.

6#&-$$A"GJh"CDHQ$E"KJDJ"C$HOgLKDMFCD$

Adjustment preparation

(1) The set should face East or West.

(2) Set video conditions to factory preset.

(3) DIGITAL CONVERGENCE adjustment should

be finished. (Progressive mode and HD mode).

Adjustment procedure

(1) Receive circle pattern signal.

(2) Go to I 2 C Adjustment mode by pressing INPUT

and POWER button on control panel at the

same time.

(3) Choose H. POSI item by using thumb stick ,.

(4) Adjust HOR. POSITION as following by using

thumb stick ,.

PROGRESSIVE MODE

Spec: Balance Left/Right side display position

for H. position. H. size marker 0.7~1.5.

Z_

(1) Input 1080i (fH=33.75kHz) component circle

pattern signal to VIDEO 1 or 2.

(2) Go to I 2 C Adjustment mode by pressing INPUT

and POWER button on control panel at the

same time.

(3) Choose H. POSI item by using thumb stick ,.

(4) Adjust HOR. POSITION as following by using

thumb stick ,.

HD MODE

Spec: Balance Left/Right side display position

for H. position.

Balance Top/Bottom side display position

for V. position (check only).

PROGRESSIVE MODE

Checking condition

(1) Digital convergence adjustment should have

been completed.

(2) Receive the circle pattern signal.

(3) Brightness/Contrast - standard condition

Contrast:max

Other controls:center position

(4) Check that the scanning area matches with the

following drawing.

HD MODE

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
MATT, I sent you some JPEGS. Can you read them????????????
As you see the sdx uses different buttons for some things. But the instructions are a little short for newbies!!!!!!!!!
I would like to know exactly what we see on the screen and what is the goal. The service manual is for experienced people.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks