Hitachi 57UWX20B vs Sony KP57WS500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Sylke, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in purchasing a new HDTV and the Hitachi 57UWX20B caught my eye. It looked pretty nice and the price was good.

I am also considering the Sony KP57WS500.

Are there any known issues with either of these sets? Are there any features that one should consider important that either of these models are missing?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I don't think you'd be going far wrong with either set.

I like sony's variable stretch mode better than Hitachi's, less "funhouse mirror" effect.

If the set must be used a lot in a brightly lit room, the Hitachi will put out a somewhat brighter picture.

If pip is important to you, Sony will let you have one of the pictures be from an HD source or progressive scan dvd, Hitachi won't.

Neither model will let you save separate settings for each input, but both have several "picture modes" that let you save different sets of picture adjustments that can be selected for any source. An oddity about the Hitachi is that some individual picture adjustments can't be saved separately for each picture mode but are changed in all modes when you change them in any single mode.

Other than these factors you would probably be safe picking whichever one has the features you prefer.

3. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for the reply!

I do have a fairly dark viewing room
    so brightness isn't VERY important.

PIP is not important to me at all as my souce is satellite and I am not about to use 2 receivers just to get PiP I would never use anyway.

When you say that the settings don't save from input to input......do you mean video settings (tint, contrast, brightness) or do you mean preferred strech mode? For example....if I have it on my DVD input and use full mode, when I go back to my satelite input will I have to change back to a stretch mode of will it remember from the last time I was in that input?

Also......can you briefly describe the stretch modes for the Hitachi?

Thanks again.