Hitachi 57UWX20B Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickBurke, Dec 13, 2002.

1. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

I finally got out to CC and checked out the 57UWX20B. I was unimpressed. It looked blurry compared to the other models around it, and the black level was not as good (although I managed to adjust taht and get some improvement). This included the next up Hitachi that was next to it (the 51 inch model that is about $2600). Now, I saw in a thread below that once again, several people were praising the Hitachi sets very highly, and I've heard this elsewhere as well. Do they just have a bad set at CC or what? I like what I hear about this set, and the 'magic focus' feature and controls are highly rated, but I even ran through the magic focus and it didn't help the image I was seeing... What's the story here? Does the quality start at the next model up or what?
    Mick
    [​IMG]

2. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

Let me just start off by saying that a manual convergence helps the set 200%

My 57 was nice out of the box, but the convergence made it much better.
    Read posts by MFUSIK, he has a lot of information that would help you.

3. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

I searched for posts from "MFUSIK" but couldn't find any. Have I got the right user name? Thanks.

4. PatrickLG

PatrickLG Agent

I apologize, its MichaelFusick on this forum and MFUSIK on the avsforum.

His posts have helped out a lot, since hes a Hitachi freak!!!!

5. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

Thanks!

6. Peter Patentcad

I have the more expensive SWX 57" Hitachi and the set is spectacular. The one I saw at CC looked outstanding. I wouldn't judge this model by one fuzzy picture @ CC. Read online reviews. If you can afford the step up to the SWX model, you might find it worthwhile. It's about $400 more than the model you're considering (I paid about $2600) but it is one of the top 3 or 4 55"+ RPTV's on the market.