Hitachi 57SWX20B & UWX20B How Good are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I'm stuck in a boat with no ore to row & I haven't a clue what to do. I WAS[​IMG] going to buy the Sony KP57WS500 but with all the problems that I have been seeing & hearing about with these sets I'm really starting to not wont to get it. The only other option I really have is the Hitachi sets because I work at CC & these are the only decent RPTV's we carry, & since we get stuff at cost its keeping my options limited to these two brands.
    So my question is how would you rate these two sets between the( UWX20B & SWX20B )? I have always been a Sony person so I don't know anything about Hitachi's quality or reputation. We have a KP57WS500 setting next to the 57UWX20B at work & I would say picture quality is close to the same but the Hitachi having just a bit more red to it than the Sony even after playing with the settings some. And are the service menus as easy to use on these sets as the Sony sets, to do things such as fixing the red push & doing a good convergence on them?
    I would still like to get the Sony as all my current stuff is Sony but I'm not willing to settle with another half screwed product of theres. My 36"XBR 250 has the uneven brightness problem that they had trouble with & my 5ES receiver wont playback DTS ES titles how its supposed to. So Sony may be losing another good customer (like they really could care) but anyway I would be grateful for any help or advice you could offer.
    Thanks in advance[​IMG]

2. Tappan

Tappan Auditioning

go with Hitachi definitely, to decide which to buy answer a few questions for me

do you have a lot of light coming into the area you want your tv to be?

do you have a surround system already?

can you afford to spend the extra money on the swx?

after you answer these questions i will tell you what i think you should do.

3. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Hitachi SWX definately, quality aside the Hitachi has a MUCH better analog picture, many more features and is easier to use. That AVnet function is very handy and you have a place for your center speaker, the Sony doesn't. Lastly, it's a lot better with glare and has two great remotes.

4. Joe Tilley

Thanks for the reply guys. Tuppan, to answer your questions 1 I do have a fair amount of light coming into my room but this doesn't matter to much for me because I am usually only home at night & I plan on getting some heavy curtains to block out the light when needed. 2 Yes I do have surround. My system is Sony STR-DA5ES receiver, Sony DVP-C650D witch will be getting replaced with the tv, Monster Power HTS-5100 power center, Polk CS400i center, RT55i mains, front surrounds, & rear surrounds the rears are wired in series on the 6th ch for now, & a 270liter sono sub using a 15" Dayton DVC sub & PE 250 watt plate amp. 3 as for spending the extra money I prefer not to but if its worth it I would.

One last thing I did find out though. I had thought that all three of Sony's newer series was affected by the flicker problem, but upon farther searching it seems to be just the WS500 series so I may conceder the WV600 Sony instead but the one down side to it is the protection screen if I ever decide to wont to remove it. The Hitachi still has my attention though as I do prefer the black bottom half to Sony's damn silver crap that they are putting on everything now. And that the front screen would be much easier to remove.

Dan, The spot for the center is not an issue as I will be building a 3 piece stand for everything. But what is the deal with the two remotes? Are you saying the SWX model has two with it? I can say I don't really care for the remote that is with the UWX model but I could learn to deal with it I guess.

Thanks again guys.

5. Tappan

Tappan Auditioning

here is the deal Joe, I asked you the first question because the Hitachi swx has a anti-glare screen the uwx does not. question two I asked because the swx comes with 45w per. speaker and the uwx comes with 20w per speaker. you now need to decide what is important, I bought the 57uwx20b I have the same Sony surround system you have and it sounds great for now, and I bought black-out shades to block light. so basically I would get the 57uwx20b, but you need to think about it before spending this kind of money, AND GET THE WARRANTY. Good luck I hope I helped you.

6. Dan Ponze

Dan Ponze Stunt Coordinator

Remote for the SWX is excellent. It also comes with mini 2nd remote which is very handy and probably all you'll ever use. With AV net function all the controls can be done through the on screen display using just 5 buttons on the mini remote (4 arrows and enter). It's very slick. Go check it out. Also compare analog picture on both.

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Just out of curiousity: are the wide-neck CRTs used in the UWX models?

8. Jeff Drumm

Jeff Drumm Extra

No, the Wide-Neck ("Hammerhead") CRTs are used only in the SWX and higher models.

--
    - Jeff

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

If you like the SWX, look into the TWX. It's the best bang for your buck. It has the same enhanced anti-glare screen as their top-of-the-line XWX, but it doesn't have the integrated HDTV tuner.

I have the TWX and love this set.

10. Joe Tilley

Thanks again for your help guys. I think it is going to be a coin toss between the SWX Hitachi & the WV600 Sony. I'm going to play around with them a little bit before I decide for sure but I think I will probley end up with the Sony being as I'm pretty familiar with the service menu on them & the rest of my stuff being Sony. Not that I'm now leaving out the SWX it's definitely still a possibility, I just feel after after searching the last couple of days I haven't found all that I would like on the Hitachi set. But you guys have been a great help[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    "I'm stuck in a boat"
    I wouldn't recommend either of these sets for a boat. Try something much smaller and weatherproof.
    [​IMG]
    Question - what's the difference between the UWX and the F or GWX??