What's new

Hitachi 57S500 vs Toshiba 57HX93 (1 Viewer)

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I'm new. Anyways, help me decide on my families new TV! I'm 16 and my parents have finally agreed to get a big screen tv. I have narrowed it down to either a Hitachi or Toshiba. I was really going for the 57S500 but then somebody posted that site with the great deal of the 57HX93. So whats really the difference? I heard they use the same lenses. I know Hitachi has 1280 scan lines, how much is in the Toshiba? Excluding the HDTV tuner, whats the difference? Any feedback would be really helpful.

I've been reading reviews and some people have said the Hitachi flickers on 480p signals. Which is a turn off cause I will use the set for DVD's. All of them have said the Hitachi has great picture though. How does the Toshiba compare?

I have so many questions, parents want me to look for it and I have been researching for a while. Kind of on information overload, was going to wait till summer sales to buy one but that site has a great price, shipping included and no taxes.

Oh, and have any of you had any dealings with online retailers? I wasnt going to ask about this but the deal the so good I cant resist. The thing is I know if I buy from like CC or BB and the tv breaks they are closeby and can get it replaced. I dont know much about buying something this big from sites. Stores also have extended warrenties. I have lots of bad luck and dont want my tv to die right after the warrenty ends. Whats Toshibas warrenty btw? I know Hitachi has a 90 day parts and lifetime on the CRT.

This post is a mess but I am just ramling off questions that pop up in my head.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They are both capable of about 1200-1300 horizontal lines of resolution.

Both are 1080i capable ....

No set is perfect, each has its own set of demons. A properly calibrated Toshiba in perfect working order would be very close to the Hitachi ...

This is not to say that the Hitachi is not without issues. If it has a certain solarization issue, then the image is worse than the Toshiba ... but if not, then there are more tools in the service menu to make this image more accurate than the Toshiba in certain aspects ...

No easy answers.

regards

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Which one would you buy?

So you are saying that the Hitachi will probably have a better picture. Is the Hitachi manual controls that much better.

Oh, I am not going to get it ISF calibrated. I dont need a super perfect picture, I am not gonna be anal about it. I just want a really really nice one.

Oh and what about the 480p Hitachi flickering?

I can get the Toshiba for 2048.99 shipped.

So confusing! I think my head will explode.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

OOTB, the Hitachi sets are generally in better shape than Toshiba units.

If this is your only criteria, then the Hitachi will likely have the better image ... if only for the fact that it may be better focused than the Toshiba.

If you are not going to be anal ... why worry about flicker? Not an issue with Hitachi sets ... usually the DVD player's fault.

Regards

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
I actually heard the Hitachi was in worse shape if you dont want it ISF calibrated. This is one of those times I wish there werent so many people making great tvs, so hard to choose!

Still cant decide. I emailed the retailer and he said the HX93 wasnt in stock, but I wasnt going to buy it right away anyways. And also since its so cheap cause its going out of production it probably wont be there when I want to buy it. My parents wont buy it now because they want me to study for finals and stuff and know I'll be distracted with a big new tv. :D

We are also waiting for Memorial Day or Independence Day sales. I was seriously looking at the 57S500 before I found that price for the Tosh. There should be sales and then the S500 should come down from 2200 down close to 2000. Or maybe it will go down even more, shouldnt Hitachi's 2004 models be coming out soon? Only bad thing is then we gotta pay tax. Oh, do you think an extended warrenty is nesessary? I know Hitachi has a lifetime warrenty on its crt guns. :: wonders what Circuit City extended covers ::

You know what, I'm leaning towards the Hitachi again. Hear their build quality is better too. Oh well, I still have a month to decide. I'm looking for as much info as possible.

I wish all manufactures sites are as good as Hitachi.

If anybody else has opinions, please reply.

Oh, and Michael, what do you mean by solarization issue?

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Well I decided on the 57S500. Well today I went with my dad and my sister to Circuit City. Apparently they think that the Sony KP57WS510 looks better. What would you guys choose? I myself cant really tell the difference in the picture. I noticed the Hitachi was a little smoother but thats just me. I know more about the Hitachi and have heard all good things so I am still leaning towards that. I think my dad and sis just like the Sony cause its silver and shiny. They think the Hitachi is ugly. GAH! MEH! :: shakes fist ::

Any suggestions?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Solarization ... a lack of colour depth ... like looking at an image that is only 65000 colours versus 16 million ...

Images look flat ...

Regards

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Is that a big problem with Hitachi sets? Or is it a matter of luck. Poop, who knew buying a tv was so hard.

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask this. How important do you think is an extended warranty? Worth the like 300 bucks?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Steven,
Hitachi like many others only offer a 1 yr parts and labor warranty on their sets. I have not heard of a television manufacturer offering lifetime warranties on them.

FWIW, The HX93 series uses Nativa lenses which are different. The CRT's are supposedly the same but not at that level. I don't think that any of the Hitachis have the Nativa lense.

Also, I was going to purchase a Toshiba until I was told by ISF techs not to and to buy the Hitachi or Mitsubishi. Given that the Mits was cheaper by $500, I went that route.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Every TV has its own share of issues ...

There are things that Toshiba does better than anyone else ... and there are things Hitachi does that are better.

Ditto for pioneer, panasonic, Mits, sony ...

Does that make Hitachi better than Toshiba or Mits better than Hitachi ... certainly not.

What bugs me a lot about one brand of TV might not bother you at all ...

As for Extended warranties ... no one says you have to pay what they are asking ... there is room to move there. But it is insurance ...

If you don't think you can afford to pay the $300 to $500 for a repair in year 4 of the tV ... then maybe the extended warranty is the insurance you need ...

Regards

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I dont know where I heard that lifetime warrenty thing from. I heard it somewhere though, lifetime warrenty on the crt guns. It turns out the warrenty is 500 bucks for 4 years. Gah. I might have to get my parents to pay for that though. I have the worse luck, knowing me it will break right after the warrenty ends. You know, this is making me go crazy. GAH! :: smacks head :: Thinking about it, maybe its not worth the $2000+. Maybe I can haggle with them on the warrenty price.

I have made my mind on the S500 though. Thats the one I know most about. I wish other companies sites would be as informative as the Hitachi one.

Oh yeah. One thing I did notice and I am sure my sister did too, she said it made her dizzy. I'm hoping it is only the display model, I didnt see it in any of the other Hitachi sets on display. The picture looked like it was flickering. Its like when you put your refresh rate on your monitor too slow. You could really notice it.

JohnPaulJ

Grip
Real Name
John
Hey,
I picked up a s500 off of craigslist from a guy right down the street.
All I can say is you have chosen a good set, and wait till you see some
animation on it. Finding Nemo almost looked 3-D! The best part is I have
not had the time to get it calibrated. Be patient and you will have a great
HDTV.
Regards,
John
P.S. Just show you dad and sister the remote and how it works and that will have them hooked:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks