What's new

Hitachi 53UDX10b Step by step Manual Convergance? (1 Viewer)

Hey Gang,

Wanna do a Manual convergence and have service Manual but would like to see a step by step from someone who has already done it. Any genius Hitachi owners out there that wanna teach us LAMERS what's what?

Sonny

Miles M

Agent
Sonny,

I guess you have already been warned of the dangers of doing any service menu/convergence menu adjustments(it is easy to really screw up the TV and may void the warranty). When doing manual convergence adjustment, just remember that you can turn off the TV(or better yet, unplug the AC) to restore it back to original condition, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT WRITTEN TO THE DIGITAL CONVERGENCE MEMORY.

I too did this adjusment on my Hitachi PTV. First, there are 2 modes. One mode can be adjusted while tuned to any RF input, and the other can be done only when tuned to a 1080i signal(via the YPbPR inputs on back). It is nice to use a crosshatch pattern for these inputs.

First enter this mode as explained in your manual, page 49. You can take off the front cover to the TV and press the convergence button as shown on page 60 of the manual(but be careful not to touch the CPT board, they will shock you). But a much easier way to enter this adjustment menu: press the MAGIC FOCUS button on the front panel. Magic focus will start, but then press this button again to stop magic focus. You will see it says STOP on the screen, at this time press the STATUS button on your remote(while pointing it at the TV). This will enter what they call 'Dynamic' mode, which is the manual convergence mode.

Once you are in the adj. mode, you should start with 7x5 mode, it is faster than 13x9 mode and gets all the lines to match pretty closely. As they say, start at the center and work toward the edges because when you get to the edges you may notice when you adjust a point, it slightly affects another edge point.

One thing to remember, don't adjust the green. You want to use green as your reference, and match blue and red to the green. If you have both of the jig screens(as shown in the service manual, page 48), then you can adjust green too. If you want to get everything perfectly linear(lines perfectly straight and spacing even) you would need the jig screens, but usually this isn't necessary. Just matching all the colors exactly makes a HUGE improvement.

Remember, before you 'WRITE TO ROM', make sure nothing is totally screwed up because once you write, you cannot go back. I have seen people try this themselves and somehow saturate convergence to the point that there are huge bowed lines across the top of the screen. This was virtually 'unfixable' until they reset the DCU(set it to uncorrected state). Then a complete adjustment is necessary, and they had to buy the jig screens(which are pricey).

Once you write to ROM, it is nice to have a crosshatch or similar pattern you can go to and confirm your convergence is good with an actual signal. You can do this by pressing EXIT on the remote, 5 times. It takes you back to your input signal. Press it again 5 times to return to the Conv. adj. menu. If you do this with the EXIT button, don't press any other buttons while you are out of the conv. adjustment menu(such as trying to change the channel, because it can affect your conv. adjustment). I find for best convergence, I go back and forth between Conv. adj. menu and crosshatch input signal several times before I have the conv. exact.

When all is done, remember to INITIALIZE the DCU so your Magic Focus will work again.

So my advice, be careful. Change a little at a time, then save it to memory. If you change something and it seems strange, just unplug the TV and it will go back to your last saved data(kind of like backing up a file on your PC). Good Luck!!

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious guys why you see the need to do this. I've used the Magic Focus and also held the button in to do the additional center focus....Overall after an AVIA calibration I'm very happy with the set after 2+ years. Why go through this? Sonny, why did you find the need to do this? It sounds really scary!

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Sonny

Let me know when you have tried this and how it turned out.

If there is a great increase in picture quality, I will definately do it as well.

Regards,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks