Hitachi 51UWX20B Covergence problem....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RolandF, Sep 17, 2002.

1. RolandF

RolandF Auditioning

Sigh. I purchased a new 51UWX a few weeks ago. The set had a major focus problem (the convergence grid was tremendously blurry.... enough that I couldn't do a manual convergence). Last Wednesday, the local authorized Hitachi service guy was out to focus the set, which worked perfectly.... eventually. The guy showed up with a manual from last years 53" set. Of course, the remote is completely different on the 2003 model. I tried to explain to him he had the wrong manual, but he insisted it was the right one, and he was going to have to "order a new remote to match the one in the service manual" (I kid you not). He did manage to eventually get into the focus, do it, and exit & save to ROM through some random batch of trial-and-error remote presses.

Last night I noticed my red convergence had drifted, and decided to try a magic focus..... but now, when I select magic focus, I get something like "SERVICE MODE" (that's not exactly what it says, can't recall at the moment), and then the service mode convergence comes up (the same one the guy was messing with the other night). I called him about it, and after looking in his service manual tells me he forgot to "reinitialize the magic focus". He even faxes me the page from his book for me to reset it myself, but of course since it's last years manual the process doesn't work.

Does anyone have a service manual for this model yet? If so, could you please tell me how to reset it? I'm obviously going to have to track down a manual on my own. The focus was definitely something I could have done on my own (as I'm sure this magic focus reset thing is as well).

Also, he only focused red & green, and left the blue very blurry. He said that Hitachi recommends the blue be left out-of-focus, though he couldn't tell me why.... anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,

RolandF

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The re-initialize sequence for last year and this year are the same.

I've used the same sequence with this year's units and it works fine.

Regards

3. RolandF

RolandF Auditioning

Thanks, Michael....

I went back to hassle the service tech this morning, and he handed me the service manual to take home (for the 53UWX10B).

While doing the convergence, the guy kept looking for a "STATUS" button on my remote, which of course isn't there (must have been on the older units). Do you know what the equivalent would be on a 2003 remote? INFO maybe?

Thanks,

Roland

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

INFO ... yes

Regards