What's new

Hitachi 51SWX20B: Is Progressive or Interlaced DVD best? (1 Viewer)

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've read a review that says due to the 51SWX20B's 480 to 540 up-conversion, progressive DVD input introduces artifacts, and they recommended using a non-progressive component DVD input instead.

I'd hate to lose the extra resolution 480p allows, but...

Have you found this to be true, and are you getting a better DVD image with a progressive or interlaced DVD player?

Thanks for the help.

Jon Sciabica

Agent
i think someone in this situation is mistaken. I have this model and saw a significant improvement between interlaced and progressive. progressive is way better. I notice no artifacts, and think that you would relly have to be looking for them from 3 ft away to see them if they were there. I love the tv and cant imagine a better image

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You need to try it yourself. Some DVD players are better, sometimes the TV outperforms the DVD player.

Regards

I have the 57" version of the set and agree that progressive scan DVD looks outstanding on the set. It's so accurate in fact that bad discs look awful. But good ones (Lord of the Rings is the best one I've found to date) are truly stunning.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depends on the player and the DVD and whether the TV locks into full mode or not.

No blanket statement ... have to experiment yourself.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks