What's new

Hitachi 51" rptv (1 Viewer)

George Bir

Stunt Coordinator
Decided to go with regular rptv no lcd or dlp. This alows us to stay in budget and get component sound system.
Looking at Hitachi 51", they seem to have about 3 models out. Would like a HD tuner in it so we could use our cable box on another tv and get the digital channels.
Is the Hitachi a good choice and is there a certain model anyone would recommend? Our veiwing area is about 15x20 in a L shaped basement. Don't need bells and whistles, want qulity pic and reliability. If the tv has an hd tuner do you still need cable box with tuner? If so whayt does the tv hd tuner do?

Thank you for all replys.
George

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

The above mentioned set DOES support CableCARD, but make sure your cable provider does as well. Otherwise, you'll have to make do with an over the air HD antenna which will only pick up broadcast HD channels in your area. Just because the set has a built-in HD tuner does not mean you can simply plug in your digital cable and have the TV do all the descrambling for you. You probably already know all of this, but I just want to make sure...

Good luck with your search!

-Jason

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 51S715, sure looks like a winner on paper. I have not seen one yet. Oodles and Ooodles of uber cool features on that one for sure.

George Bir

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, thank you very much. Sometimes the simplest of issues are not known. I did not know about the HD tuner.
Matter of fact, was lead to believe by sales that I would not need the cable box if the TV had an HD tuner. The card was never brought up. I'm feeling ingnorant right now, but I'm so happy to find this out. If you need the cable box tuner, what is the HD tuner in the tv for?
Sounds like the 51S715 is the right one if Comcast offers the card option. If not is another model a better choice?
Hitachi has great track record. Can't go wrong or should I look at Mits. or Toshiba?

Thanks again.

John S

Senior HTF Member
George, regaurdless of any sort of tuner issue, this really does look like a way winner. I'd say give it a shot, latest and greatest and all that. If you have dissatisfaction, try to return it period.

Not a lot of reviews out there on this one, but it is a new model and all.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
we just bought the 51S500. It wont be hear to the 11th but I think it will be really good. ;)

George Bir

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know about the HD tuner issue.
If you need one from your cable company, what does the one in the tv do?

PeterK

Supporting Actor
your tv will come HD ready. which means it can accept an HD signal but you need a high definition signal from satelite or cable to view it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
George,

When combined with an HD aerial antenna, the built-in HD tuner will enable you to pick up any over-the-air HD channels. These over the air channels are usually restricted to your local networks (NBC, ABC, CBS) and possibly PBS. Not all networks in every market broadcast an HD signal, and you need to be relatively close to the source to receive them. If you ask your salesperson about over the air HD reception in your area, s/he should be able to tell you what you can expect in your area.

The cableCARD feature is supposed to provide an alternative to your Cable company's decoder box. I'm not too familiar with the specifics, but if your cable company can provide you with a cableCARD, then you should be good to go. Be sure to check with your cable provider first.

Sorry I was MIA for a few days... everything's hittin' the fan these days....

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks