What's new

Hitachi 43UWX10B losing convergence after two weeks. Several questions! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Two weeks ago, I had my lovely Hitachi 43" widescreen RPTV delivered. After flipping through Avia to set it to more reasonable levels (25% contrast, 53% brightness, 38% color, tint 2 clicks toward green, 25% sharpness, all SVM and auto-color turned off) and tweak it all out, I am in love with the picture on this set. When I first got it setup, I checked the geometry/convergence with Avia's patterns and there didn't seem to be any problems. I ran Hitachi's MAGIC FOCUS, it did its automatic convergence, and all was well with the world -- all the lines were white and had no apparent problems.

So today, I notice that the upper right corner of the screen looks a little blurry. I hit ye olde' MAGIC FOCUS button, it does its thing and yet I still have a slightly blurred corner. I pop in Avia and put on the convergence test patterns... and sure enough, I now have red edges on horizontal lines and green edges on vertical lines (only in the upper right corner of the screen -- the rest of the screen is dead-on perfect).

I know I can do a manual convergence of this set, but would I be risking my warranty by doing it? Does the TV keep track of service menu usage? Should I just take a service call on this one and hope they get it straight? Is it normal for a RPTV to go through something like this during its break-in period? Should I call Hitachi directly or risk calling Circuit City's people? HELP! I'm a RPTV first-timer!

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
First off, don't panic. You've only had the set for 2 weeks and you're in the drivers seat from that perspective. Try using the center convergence which isn't in the manual. Push in the magic focus button and hold it in until you see the typical magic focus message go away and it says Center or something like that. Let it run its magic and if that doesn't work I'd call CC and tell them you want another set that you've been trying to live with this one and it is defective. The should be good about bringing you out a new one.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I press and hold the Magic Focus button, and it never says CENTER. It just does its usual auto convergence. Am I doing something wrong?
I called Circuit City and they're sending a local tech out to look at it within the next 24 hours. Fun fun. We'll see if this guy knows what the hell he's doing. I'm sure I'll probably be the first customer who pops in the Avia disc to show him the convergence pattern, considering I'm in Alabama and all. :D

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
I have this same set and have performed manual convergence once so far. The convergence is simple if you have all the steps. Don't try and converge the set unless you have the service manual or a list of instructions on how to do it. If you don't follow all the steps, you will loose the ability to use your "magic focus" button. You can only reset the set by opening up the tv and pushing a button inside. Do a search in this site for "43uwx10b convergence" and you should get all the info you need. I have a PDF of the instructions I got from a thread here I can send you if you want.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have the instructions on doing the convergence... but does the TV keep track of whether you've done it or not? I know some sets keep track of service menu usage (and if a tech sees that you've tinkered with it, it can void your warranty). Just wondering if this set keeps track in any way. I'd rather just converge it myself than have to take off work to wait for the tech to get here since it's just a slight convergence problem... but I don't want to screw up my warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks