Hitachi 43 or Sony 46

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WayneG, Nov 14, 2002.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I've pretty much narrowed my search to either the Hitachi 43FWX20B or the new Sony 46" - both retail for $3000 Canadian.

One store currently has last years Hitachi 43 on for $2500, but the salesmen said it's worth going for the new .52 (versus .72) version. I believe the old version is 43UWX (I think).

I'll be sitting 7ish feet from the TV so the size looks good. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Wayne. Here's where questions about TVs and monitors go.

3. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

The new and old Hitachi are the same as each other.

4. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

One store is selling the 43UWX10B for $3,300 Canadian, which I assume is last year's model. It's not mentioned on the Hitachi site. But the other store was selling last year's model for $2,500, and the new 43FWX20B for $3,000. It's confusing.

5. MichaelFusick

43" UWX is last years model

43" FWX is this years model.

I would save the money and get the UWX. They are identical to each other.

Actually, the UWX last year has a much better remote now that I think about it.

This years model alows for manual focus through user menu, last years you needed service menu for that.

That's really the only differences.

Save the $500 and either get the old one calibrated, buy a Extended warranty, or some other AV equiptment with the money you saved. I think overall that would lead to more A/V happiness.

6. Rich Chiavaroli

Rich Chiavaroli Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'm waiting for the 46" Sony to hit the stores so I can look at it. For me personally, if the Sony's PQ is acceptable, I'll be going with that. The stand is much more useable (or appears to be), and the only reason I'm not going with a bigger set is for space restrictions. The stand for this years hitachi has very narrow shelves, and last years model is closed on the back and angles in so you can't fit components side by side.

If I could get what I wanted, it would be an SWX. But if I'm not going to be able to get the better CRT's and the anti-glare shield, I'd rather go with a bigger screen and more component storage space. Well, that's if the PQ is acceptable.

7. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

They didn't have this year's model on display - saying that they wouldn't send them one until they sold last year's. So I'm assuming that's the one I would get - the one on display. Would this be bad, considering it's on all day every day? Maybe that's why it's $500 off.

Also - he said that the new model has .52 dot pitch, and last year's .72. Is that meaningful?

I really wasn't impressed with the 43UWX in the store, certainly compared to the 51UWX, which was so much sharper.

8. Nick.Y

Nick.Y Auditioning

Does anyone know the date when the new 46" Sony will hit stores?

9. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

WayneG,

Yes the dot-pitch is very useful. Just means the pixels are smaller therefore you get a clearer and sharper with the additional pixels to create the picture. The term dot-pitch is also used in computer monitors as well, like .25mm. In a case of a TV, the sales men ment to say .52mm.

Are you getting this TV from Future Shop?

Hope this helps

10. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. In this case I was looking at 2001 Audio Video. They have a nice display room. Prices are fairly uniform throughout the city. It's interesting though that at each store the salesmen lead you to different things.

At The Brick, he wanted me to go Sony 36 4X3. I couldn't justify $3,500 to upgrade from my Panny 27, even if it is to HD, which he said had no programming at present. (he didn't seem to know that Rogers is "offering" 10 channels). Oh, he also said that RPTV "totally sucked," and went on and on about how much the tubes cost to replace.

At Future Shop, he steered me toward the Panny 47 16X9, which came with a DVD player.

The Sony store guy - well, a Sony obviously.

The 2001 guy thought the Hitachi 43 or Sony 46 was best, based on the size of my room and all. He also told me that the Samsung 42 ($2350) would soon have a $500 rebate and I could judge the quality for myself. I thought it looked really bad. He said they were all set properly, but you never know.

11. Matthew_F

Wayneg,

Actaully that's salesmen is no good if he saids RPTV sucks. This is because RPTV is actaully better than a Direct view. The brightness, contrast and colors are much better than that of a CRT. If you compare the two sets watchign a dvd for example, you will notice the RPTV is way better because it looks like a thearter because of the nature of it.

Sony? I sort of give that a big no, they don't want ot tell you that they've been having QC problems ever since they moved their factory and Mexico. Lots of TVs keep breaking from one of three things constantly. Therefore the TV life span is short.

Reguarding the Pana 47 widescreen, I actaully have that TV(last years model) and it's a good looking. Mine came with the Pana RP56 dvd player.

IMO, a TV I would recommend is the TWX or XWX series TV for Hitachi. It's a widescreen set and comes in 57" or 65". These series are top of the line.

Hope this helps.

12. MichaelFusick

13. Rich Chiavaroli

14. MichaelFusick

If you can fit it, it's worth it.

15. Matthew_F

What are the dimentions of this room?

I thought the 65" inch would be too big but my friend and Video Only said. When he and his co-workers had to move a 65" TWX TV in the store and this was at night. What they did? They moved the TV very close to a table where they were eating and watched a movie. How far was the TV? About 4 to 5 feet away!! I said.. wow that's crazy, and he said nope.. it would fit in a small room.

My friend said also said, don't look into SWX. At Video Only, you can get a TWX for the cost of a SWX in typical retail places. Also the SWX doesn't perform as good the TWX/XWX as I mentioned above.

16. MichaelFusick

17. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Looking closely at the specs, the Hitachi 43 doesn't have a DVI. For Digital Input it just has a blank. The Sony 46 has one. I'm not sure if this matters but it would appear to be one thing in the Sony's favour, unless Hitachi feel they're irrelevant.

18. MichaelFusick

19. Rich Chiavaroli

MSRP looks to be $1899.. $100 more than the 43" hitachi is currently advertising for.

FWIW.. my step brother swears that his dads 43FWX20b has a DVI port on the back of it. The next time he goes over there, I told him to confirm it. I'd find it pretty wierd that they'd put one on this set and not advertise it.

20. MichaelFusick