Hitachi 36UDX10S - GREAT TV, but won't stay in 16x9 mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_G, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    So I picked up this TV today for $999. It's such a great TV, but I set the thing to 16x9 when using Component Video, I shut the TV off and on again, and it's back to 4x3. All other settings stick EXCEPT the aspect ratio. Is this by design? If so, it's terribly annoying. Everything I use with comp. cables have a static 16x9 or 4x3 setting and I'd like to keep everything in 16x9 mode, but hitting that "aspect" button all the time is annoying!

Actually, I just tried something else. I turned the device off that was running in 16x9 mode (my XBox), turned it back on, and the TV went back to 4x3 without me touching it at all. It's like the TV reverts to 4x3 when there's even a loss of signal!

I'm posting here after doing a search for this model, and I came up with a lot of rave reviews, but not one person that mentioned this which leads me to two conclusions:

1) I'm pickier than most.
    2) People don't use the TV in 16x9 mode.

Any help on this one? Thanks.

BTW: The progressive video on this through my DVD player, PS2, and XBox is stunning!

Mike

2. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,
    I dont have the same T.V. as you but mine also resets the aspect ratio back to 4:3 whenever I change inputs or turn the set off. Pushing the aspect button doesnt bother me, though. Just think of all those people that have to go into service mode each time they want to do the squeeze trick.[​IMG]

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Mike,

This is perfectly normal (I also have the set). The only time I have found it to stay in 16:9 mode is if I pause a DVD and switch inputs. If I return to the DVD it will stay. However, if I stop, or turn off the player, it reverts to 4:3 mode. You are absolutely right, if it loses the signal, it goes back to 4:3 mode.

Hope this helps.