Hitachi 36" HTV - about to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

after months and months of going back and forth between an RCA 38" and a Philips 34", my wife and i decided to go the 4:3 HDTV route. The Hitachi 36" can be had for FAR less than either of the other two sets and gets generally great reviews. A couple of questions (since i have not been in the market for 4:3 in a while)...

supposedly this set's anamorphic resolution is 810 lines instead of 1080. Is this going to be a huge problem for a 36" set? It has pulldown, btw.

also, when watching progressive scan dvd's, how do 4:3 hdtv's handle the "second set" of black bars with 2.35:1 material? I don't like how my Sony Wega's "black area" during a 16:9 squeeze never matches the small black bars on 2.35:1 material, i find it very distracting.

anyway i am very close to buying the set from a local hitachi refurbishing center. in a few weeks i'll get an HDTV tuner and a component switch since this only has one input.

any help appreciated!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Sean, you have mail. To answer your question about the second set of bars with 2.35 material, on the Hitachi set they are very slightly "ligher", and I do not find them to be distracting at all. However, if it is a problem for you, you could make mattes.

We love the set, and never notice the slight curve to the screen. The color decoder is better than the other direct view sets we saw, especially after tweaking with AVIA.

I think this is a great, cheap way to get into HDTV. Enjoy the set.

3. Roque_A

Roque_A Auditioning

Hi, I own the 36UDX10S and I love it. As far as the HD goes I'm really not sure as I don't have an HD tuner as of yet. As far as the dvd playback goes it is awesome. I know what you are saying with the 2:35:1 material on the Sony's. I had a 36 inch Wega and it annoyed the crap out of me, not to mention that I was very disappointed with the brightness problem on the Sony. So I returned it and got the Hitachi instead, and I amd extremely happy with my descision. If you have any other questions about the TV let me know. I have done a lot of tweaking to it so I might be able to answer your questions.Oh and to answer your other question no I cannot see the other bars now.
    Roque[​IMG]

4. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I have the 32" version that I like very much. I don't remember exactly how 2.35:1 bars look, but shouldn't this be dependant on your DVD players ability to display blacker than black. So if the set is calibrated properly using the PLUGE pattern they should be the same color, black.