Hitachi 32UDX10S - What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Mc, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Just put in an order for the Hitachi 32UDX10S TV. Wanted to get some opinions/experiences from people that have bought this model or the 36" big brother. Paid $1279, which includes shipping and tax. Was this a good price? Circuit City advertises $1299.

Hope I made a wise choice. Also, the dimensions fit into my entertainment center. Would have gone for the 36 incher, but space limitations and non-flat screen was a concern.

Thanks for any info!!!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I own the 36" version and we love the set. It was a cheap way to get into HDTV. CC sells the 32" set for about $1150 plus delivery the last time I was in. The color decoder on the set is really good, and tweaking the set with AVIA or VE will make the picture look alot better.
    Remember, the 3:2 pulldown (which works well) is only active in the Movie mode (I leave mine in Movie).
    Congrats and enjoy your set.[​IMG]

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I have the 32UDX10S. I leave mine in TV mode since my RP91 does a good job with 3:2 pulldown. George, I'm curious why you use movie mode? (I really can't tell any difference between using movie mode and TV mode.. even with the player in progressive scan mode)

It would be nice to have a flat screen.. but not for the $$ difference. Otherwise, I really like the PQ. On this size TV, I don't think the squeeze being 810 vs 1080 will make a noticeable difference.

2 minor gripes:

1) 8 step process to turn the TV sound on/off

2) 2 to 3 seconds lag time for the TV picture to come up when changing channels. (is that a characteristic of digital sets?)

Pluses:

1) excellent PQ on my analog cable

2) a/r button on the remote

3) commercial skip timer button! (30-180 seconds)

4) PQ with DVD is super

I paid almost the same price as you. Also had similar limitations with an entertainment center. I could have used either the 32 or 36 in Hitachi or the Panny 32" digital set.

I don't think the Toshiba HX/HFX series was out when I bought last October, but I believe the 32" Tosh would fit as well.

I think you'll be very happy with the Hitachi unless you need more than one set of component inputs.

4. george king

I keep it in movie mode for 2 reasons. First, I have not got a progressive DVD player yest. Secondly, I have noticed some artifacts while watching DirectTV on some material. The 3:2 pulldown kicks in with the appropriate Sat material and the artifacts are gone.

Hope this helps,

5. Tony Mc

Thanks much for the replies!!!

Kinda new at H/T, so I want to know, what is 'PQ' and the 'a/r' button on the remote?

Also, I don't have a satellite dish hook up yet, I still have sorry ole standard cable (Comcast). Will the TV's performance increase with either the sat dish or with the digital cable that Comcast offers?

I also do not have a progressive DVD player. I have the Panasonic RV31.

How difficult is setting up the TV's configuration/calibration? I see many posts about the Avia and VE DVD setup disks. Does Circuit City or Sears sell these DVDs? Are they a definite must have to calibrate the HDTV's picture and sound? Or only the picture?

Rick, the gripes you have with the TV (2 minor gripes:

8 step process to turn the TV sound on/off and the

2 to 3 seconds lag time for the TV picture to come up when changing channels, is not doubt a pain. Why so many steps to turn on/off the TV sound?

George, is there much of a curve of the screen with the 36" TV? Or is it something that you can live with?

Again, many thanks for the replies and I hope that I'm satisfied with my HDTV selection as much as you two are.

If you have more info to add about the 32UDX10S or the 36UDX10S, please do.

Tony

6. george king

Several quick answers.

PQ = picture quality

The a/r button will change the aspect ratio of the TV on the component inputs. In other words, the set will mimic a 16:9 set. Hook up your dvd player via the component inputs, setup the DVD player to tell the tv you have a 16:9 set. When you play an anamorphic DVD change the a/r on the TV, and you will get the benefits of the anamoprhic DVD .

AVIA or VE can be bought at BB, or ordered online. If you have never done it, watch the DVD, follow the instructions, and in about 30 minutes you will have a better picture.

The curve is not that bad.

7. Tony Mc

Thanks George...

Also, I'll connect my DVD player thru my receiver's optical input and then out from the receiver's TV out to the TV. Do you see any problem with that type of connection? Will I have any PQ degradation?

Lastly, which of the calibration DVDs is the better one? Avia or the VE?

Thanks

Tony

8. Rick Radford

Ah, I see George. Maybe I should turn off PS one day and see if I can tell any diff in movie mode.

Tony, I don't know what receiver you have. IAC, I connect the DVD player directly to the TV with component cables for two reasons.

1) that will give the best possible picture

2) it's very simple for my family to play a DVD (in my absence) without having to crank up the entire HT (receiver, change inputs, etc. etc). Just power up the DVD player and the 3xUDX10s automagically powers on with the component input selected. Piece of cake! ('course they don't have the surround sound.. but I'm the only one that cares about that anyway)

Try it via your receiver and try it connected directly. You may not notice a difference.

Avia/VE both do an excellent job. Of the two, I prefer both! But I generally use Avia (the author hangs out around here and gives of his wisdom from time to time).

You can get Avia online for ~$35 shipped. VE prices range from $20 to $35 or so shipped... depending on what specials are going on.

Don't forget the Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level meter (~$40) for calibrating your speakers and sub.

What's your equipment list?

9. Tony Mc

Thanks much Rick. I'll probably connect my DVD player to the receiver then to the TV. That is how I now have it and my PQ is fine, even for analog cable.

My newbie equipment list:

Harmon Kardon AVR 120 Receiver

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Infinity HTS20 Speaker system

A still going strong 16 year old 26" Mitsubishi (love this TV. Been all over the world with me while I was in the Air Force, for my VCR viewing and it never let me down. It's the Chevy's of televisions!!!) Too bad Mitsu no longer makes 32-34" TVs

Zenith VRL4230HF VCR

After my basement is remodeled, my H/T listing will change of course. I figure I'll be doing that in a year or so. And the 32UDX10S will remain in the living room or possibly my bedroom.

What's your equipment list?

10. Rick Radford

Tony,

>That is how I now have it and my PQ is fine, even for analog cable.<

But you also have it connected to your old TV (no component inputs).

I'd be interested to see if you find any difference in PQ connecting your new TV directly from the player vs. being run through your receiver.

For best results, use component cables and not RCA or S-Video to connect your player to your TV/receiver.

The other negative of running your player to your receiver is that you double your cable cost (2 sets of component cables: 1 set from player to receiver, and 1 set from receiver to TV).

My equipment list:

TV: Hitachi 32UDX10S

Receiver: Onkyo 989

DVD Player: Panasonic RP91

Speakers: Axiom M60Ti/VP100/M3Ti

Sub: SVS 20-39CS(i) Samson 700

Parametric EQ: BFD 1124p

VCR: JVC HRS4600U SVHS

Audioquest interconnects

11. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    I got the 36UDX10S and nothing but good things to say about it. Excellent picture even on analog cable and the squeeze on the component input is really nice for dvds. As it has been said before, these TVs are great for entering into HDTV while not spending much more than an analog TV the same size.

I'll agree with the gripe that some of the menu features take alot of steps to do to get where you want, but it's nothing that a remote with macros can't take care of.

Someone mentioned concern about the curved screen. While a flat screen would be prefered, the curvature of the Hitachi isn't that much and , under good lighting conditions, it isn't even noticed by me. Even in the store with horrible lighting, I thought that the Hitachi had a better picture than some of the flatscreens. Plus it was much cheaper, too.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

12. Tony Mc

Thanks for the good words NickT!!! I would have gotten the 36 incher if not for the space limitations in my entertainment center. I'd only have an inch or less on each side of the center to play with. And having to move the TV to get behind it for connecting the inputs and outputs, it would be a real hassle.

Rick, I'll connect my DVD as you suggest to the TV's component inputs. What's the difference with component cables and RCA cables? I thought they are the same, except for where you connect them. I'll do a quick check on the web for the differences.

Now I just have to wait for delivery. It will be a few weeks though.

13. Tony Mc

My Goodness!!! Just went to the Better Cables website and a 1 meter length for component cables cost $100! That's outrageous. Have to check for less expensive component cables, that's for sure.

14. Pete P

Pete P Auditioning

You can find many sets of component cables for anywhere from $10 - $30. Radioshack has Gold Series cables and I believe Best Buy has AR. Many sites carry Monster Cable. I got my cables (Python 6' for $9.95 & shipping) at http://www.comcatusa.com/comcat/higdefrgbvid.html
    The price/benefit ratio of cables is a hotly debated topic. I'm very satisfied with my set but I didn't do a comparison test with other brands. I would hesitate spending a great deal of money initially for a cable set which might bring a very small (if any) improvement in the video signal.

15. Rick Radford

>What's the difference with component cables and RCA cables? I thought they are the same, except for where you connect them<
    Good question, Tony. One I'm not sure I'm up to snuff on to answer accurately. This would be a good topic for the newbie thread if it hasn't already been covered.
    IAC, since you are getting a HD (high definition) set, I don't think the RCA cables can carry the signal you need to get best PQ out of your set. That's what the component cables are for.
    Go here for some cable info.
    And here's some more. Go to the bottom of this msg for info on connections.

Here's
    another good site to get some info about component cables. You don't have to spend $100.. but Better Cables is one of the nicer cables you can buy. Nose around Allan's site. He's got some good info.
    You can get by with S-video cables.. but will get best results with component cables. BTW, composite video = RCA cables (red/white/yellow)... the bottom of the heap. Don't go there!

16. Tony Mc

You guys are great. Thanks for the info.

I was going to go to my local Rat Shack for the cables anyhow. Just thought I'd go to Better Cables for a look-see. I had seen a post where a person said that his composite connection was great as well. But, I'll go for the component connection since it seems to be a more popular choice.

17. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick
    Definately go for the component for dvd viewing, since that's the only input that has the anamorphic squeeze option. One difference between component cables and regular RCA ones, is that component will have all three cables rated at 75 ohms. Audio RCA aren't always rated at 75 ohms, and that may have affect on PQ.

On another note, does anyone know how to get into the service menu on this series of Hitachi TVs?

18. Tony Mc

Thanks NickT. I see a view posts asking for the service menu. Is the service menu something that a qualified technician should use? Why would I need to fiddle around with the service menu when it seems to not be included with the TV's manual? If it is not readily available to a consumer that has bought the 32UDX or 36UDX, why would I need to get to it? I'm being redundant with my questions. Just wondering, since most people use the Avia or VE for calibration.

NEWBIE ALERT!!!! NEWBIE ALERT!!! :)

19. george king

Tony definitely use the comonent cabels, but make sure they are terminated at 75 ohms to get the best picture. Cables are a debatable subject. FWIW, I own BetterCables for most of my system (including the component), and I noticed a difference. Whether that difference is worth the extra $60 (over a set of $30 component cables) is something you have to decide. I thought it was worth it.

20. Rick Radford

>does anyone know how to get into the service menu on this series of Hitachi TVs?<
    I believe you press the power button and the input button at the same time (on the TV.. not the remote). I think you need to hold them until the picture comes up.. but can't remember for sure. It's been a while since I went into the SM.
    It can be a bit tricky.. but if you have no luck the first time.. try several more times. I think you have to hold your tongue just right. [​IMG]
    I would like a service manual for this set. Hitachi refuses to sell me one. Anyone have any luck getting one?