HIT 32UDX10S DVD playback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Duke, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Hope you all can point me in the right direction...

I currently have an XBOX and a JVC XV501BK (a 1st or 2nd gen DVD player), and will be displaying their images on my new Hitachi 32UDX10S. I realize that neither DVD player produces a progressive scan quality image, but my understand that the TV should be able to create a picture that is "as good" with a progressive scan DVD player as one without that feature.

So, here's the question. Which of these two DVD players should produce a better picutre, or are they inferior to what a progressive scan DVD player could on the 32UDX10S?

Thanks
    Duke

2. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

I have no experience with either the XBOX as a DVD player or the JVC player, so I cannot tell you which one will produce a better picture. I can tell you that, as a general rule, a progressive DVD player hooked up to a 480p display device will yield a better image than a regular interlaced player hooked up to the device's line doubler. This is because the processing on the image (3:2 pulldown, etc.) is done in the digital realm, and therefore introduces less artifacts and errors.

Of course the question now is, is this difference noticeable enough to warrant buying a new player? You have a nice TV, so I think you owe it to yourself to at least borrow a good progressive scan player and see for yourself!

3. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

That is a good point...

The 3:2 pulldown was one of the main features that I was looking for in a new TV. Of course I wonder how much calibration will improve the picture I am already receiving (I'm looking at pickup either AVIA or HTT, thought I'm leaning towards HTT due to cost).

But, the problem with this set seems to be that no matter what calibration disk I buy, the service mode's confusing nature will not allow me to make the changes needed to create the best picture possible.

I'm just hoping to get the most out of this set as possible!
    Duke