History of SVS enhancements...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jantzen, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed in a few threads about SVS that since the first models (the original - not the Ultra) that there have been numerous changes made to the subs...
    I don't think there was ever any details about these changes - and maybe I have no right to know - but out of curiosity's sake I was wondering what has changed to the currently shipping models that is different from the originals...
    I ordered a 20-39PC in Nov 2000 and it was delivered in Feb 2001 (remember those looooong waits). Anyway I was wondering what specific changes have been made to the 20-39PC since I recieved mine?
    I was going to send an email to SVS but thought others might be interested. I can understand if SVS does not want to start a discussion of this, people might get upset that their sub does not have this or that since they ordered early...
    Finally I just had to plug SVS -
    I just wanted to say that I am just as impressed with this sub as the day I got it. It has elevated my HT to a new level and with every new DVD I get I can't wait to pop it in to hear (and feel!) what my SVS will do with it. I am glad to report that it has yet to disappoint!. Keep up the good work SVS!!!
    I guess I can answer some of this myself...
    Looked at the details on the 20-39PC and saw
    - New 16" ultra high-strength custom drawn, polymer wrapped, enclosure tubing
    - CNC'd and cold laminated, 1.5" black birch end-caps
    I have regular sonotube and MDF end caps... I think I'm going to cry... because I still love my SVS!!!!
    I did get the floor spikes though!!!
    [Edited last by Jantzen on November 02, 2001 at 12:19 PM]

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I would be interested as well, but I doubt they would give specific details as to what exactly changed and how. General details they may be more inclined to give. However, it is easily understood as to why they may not. Some tricks and specific performance enhancements you do not share. Now would I upgrade my 20-39CS for a CS+ (whenever it may come out)? Absolutely. Then again, maybe we'll skip the CS+ and go straight for the SS! [​IMG]

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

I'll give this one a bump tomorrow.
    Stay tuned for a bit then, but one thing you can always count on... every day we're looking for ways to make your next SVS work better, cost less, and last forever (or longer). No audio product is ever perfect, but that doesn't mean we'll ever stop trying to get there.
    Ron

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

We switched to custom enclosure designs(built to our specific specs) and the new 1.5" thick birch endcaps simultaneously around the beginning of summer 01. These two re-designs were forced onto us by the CS_U's underhung driver. We could have stayed with the 1" thick MDF endcaps and the original enclosure design for the cs/pc series and saved quite a bit...but we figured we have the technology,we might as well let it benefit every sub we sell.The PC/CS lineup isn't going to benefit as much as the CS_Ultra model from the overbuilt enclosure...but it sure can't hurt [​IMG].
    The amp mods have been widely spaced and relatively minor. Mainly the result of SVS and RCM(in Germany)working together for well over a year now(with each side better understanding what is important to both) . The driver mods are along the same lines. Our manufacturer would think of a way to improve the driver...and ask us if we'd be interested. What could we say? The mods might be something as inaudible as using a better glue/adhesive for one particular joint to enhance reliability. Other mods might be increasing suspension travel by 1mm,or tweaking the power handling a little. Taken individually, none of them would probably make an audible difference. But when you improve something whenever you can...ultimately you end up with a better product...and one that would at least measure a bit better even if the audibility could be debated.
    If you put one of our first 20-39PCs in the same room as the next 20-39PC we ship...I'm not sure if you'd be able to pick out one from the other. If you have a lab mic and the right test equipment I think you'd notice some improvements though.
    We're always looking to improve our products...never be surprised... [​IMG]
    TV

5. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Now would I upgrade my 20-39CS for a CS+ (whenever it may come out)?

6. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses...
    Does the The "CS+" idea refer to the PC series as well???

7. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

What is a CS+? Where will it fit in the current SVS line?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Thanks for the info Tom and Ron!
    Jerry,
    If I understand correctly, it would be a filler between the current CS models and the CS-Ultra, being about 20% (if I'm not mistaken?) better than the CS models.

9. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Bryan. I look forward to reading the announcement.
    Jerry

10. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Does the The "CS+" idea refer to the PC series as well???