What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Although he’s underrated today, Frank Borzage was one of the most dependable and idealistic directors of Hollywood’s Golden Age. As one of the first directors to win multiple Academy Awards for Best Director, Borzage was also very devoted to the idea that “love conquers all”, and History is Made at Night is one of the best testaments to that ideal. Long unavailable for years since an initial VHS release in 1993, Criterion has brought the movie back into print with its inclusion in their vast collection in this brand new Blu-ray release.

History Is Made at Night (1937)

Released: 05 Mar 1937
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 97 min

Director: Frank Borzage
Genre: Drama, Romance

Cast: Charles Boyer, Jean Arthur, Leo Carrillo, Colin Clive
Writer(s): Gene Towne (screen play), C. Graham Baker (screen play), Vincent Lawrence (additional dialogue), David...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have this but I haven't seen it yet, so I skipped the synopsis, as I've been waiting to see this since I first read about it in Andrew Sarris' "The American Cinema" 50+ years ago. I'm in the middle of a project, so I haven't watched much the past few weeks. But I am looking forward to it, and my anticipation has been piqued by your enthusiastic review.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Criterion's Twitter account posted a clip from this film a few days ago where Charles Boyer does his imitation of Señor Wences and Johnny.

1619155881532.png

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I was looking for a classic hollywood title to purchase along with bringing up baby during the 50 percent off sale in july. Driving an hour to barnes and noble is hardly worth it to me for only bringing up baby. My thoughts were between this titlle and merrily we go to hell that has a small part with cary grant in it.

I decided im going to get history is made at night as to be honest there is not much replay value in merrily we go to hell. I do prefer comedies and romance over grim realistic movies. Plus i pick Frank Borzage as a director over an inexperienced female director.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I was looking for a classic hollywood title to purchase along with bringing up baby during the 50 percent off sale in july. Driving an hour to barnes and noble is hardly worth it to me for only bringing up baby. My thoughts were between this titlle and merrily we go to hell that has a small part with cary grant in it.

I decided im going to get history is made at night as to be honest there is not much replay value in merrily we go to hell. I do prefer comedies and romance over grim realistic movies. Plus i pick Frank Borzage as a director over an inexperienced female director.

Just so you're aware, History is Made at Night is unlike anything Borzage did before or after it, and, IMO is not an altogether successful movie either. Despite the superb chemistry between Boyer and Arthur - an actress, whom I adore - this one is a real convoluted head-scratcher of a story, topped off by a pseudo-maritime disaster finale that never comes off as it should. It should also be noted that the transfer on this Blu-ray isn't up to Criterion's usual quality, owing to improperly archived film elements over the years. Just saying.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I started to watch this on yooutube but stopped it a quarter way through with expectations to watch the criterion in july. I do have merrily we go to hell on dvd from the universal precode box set and it looks acceptable upscaled on my tv. Its just kind of a bleak story on an alcoholic thats been better done by wilder a decade later. I still have a couple months to deciide but all the reviews including this one give the video of history is made at night high scores. I dont even have this title on dvd as it never had a proper release.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Mychal, thank you for your review. This would be a blind buy for me and your review definitely tips the scales favoring me picking this up in the Criterion or B&N 50% off sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks