Historical Televison Events on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattPeriolat, Jul 19, 2006.

1. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Sitting here going over my collection of DVDs and I was struck by a thought:

Given the massive archives of material at the networks (one assumes), has any thought been given to releases of as-they-occured events on DVD, such as the landing on the moon, Apollo 13's near disaster in space, or the assassination and funeral of President Kennedy?

Now, there have be selected bits on DVD, but I've never seen the whole blocks, minute by minute. I'm curious if there is even a market for something like this.

Thoughts?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    An even better question is has anybody considered releasing old news footage on DVD? Assuming the price was right I would add a few of those to my collection.

3. MattPeriolat

Exactly, I think there is an entire market for news events on DVD that is untapped. But not just best ofs or select bits, give us entire events please. What may be inconsequential to some is gold to others.

4. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

5. MattPeriolat

Close, but no banana. Kind of looking for everything from that weekend, from the first newsbreak to Kennedy's burial at Arlington.

6. Susan Nunes

Susan Nunes Stunt Coordinator

I would prefer that, too. No snippets, no conspiracy nonsense, just the original broadcasts in their entirety.

It's doable, I think.

7. MattPeriolat

Agreed.

See, this is a completely neglected form of DVD issues: The JFK Assassination, The Landing on the Moon, Apollo 13, Watergate, et al.

Who wouldn't want the original broadcasts of these events from the networks?

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I'd love to have all of the network-TV JFK assassination footage on DVD too, Matt.

But it's unlikely we'll ever see all of the massive amount of 11/22/63 material released to DVD. Each network aired approx. 55-60 hours of stuff from those 4 bleak days in 11/63. And many collectors have a nice chunk of the original TV coverage on VHS (and maybe DVD-R), including myself. ....

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...4caef920ae6a0d

I'd love seeing all of the above currently-on-VHS-only JFK-related items make their way onto DVD some day, as well (esp. the two brilliant 1964 documentary films -- "Four Days In November" and "John F. Kennedy -- Years Of Lightning, Day Of Drums").

The "Image Of An Assassination" DVD, as mentioned previously, does have four "versions" of the Zapruder Film on it, plus a very nice overview documentary piece on Mr. Zapruder and how he came to be where he was on 11/22/63 -- but that disc does not include any of the funeral footage or other TV coverage of the assassination (except for the Zapruder interview with Jay Watson of WFAA-TV in Dallas just hours after Mr. Z filmed the tragedy; excellent quality for that footage too, btw).

I don't know if I'm alone in wanting these next JFK items or not -- but something that I feel deserves to be preserved on DVD are the JFK Press Conferences (64 in total). That would make a great DVD set indeed. Each conference was approx. 30 minutes in length, so a DVD set with all of them would be equal to about the same amount of material as two "complete season" TV-show aggregations. I'd snap that up in a minute.

You can read every word of every JFK press gaggle, btw, at the JFK-Library website, here:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical...es/default.htm

Three conferences (as of this writing) also have audio files attached.

Another riveting "live" news event that unfolded on TV was the RFK assassination in June 1968. Fascinatingly-sad coverage. The initial confusion of the crowd at the Ambassador Hotel shown on live TV makes your stomach sink.

9. MattPeriolat

Indeed, especially given the thought was "Dear God, it's happened again."

My mom worked for Bobby when he campaigned in Sacramento and met him about four days before he died.

It IS a staggering thought. Given all three networks covered everything virtually nonstop for four days from the first newsbreak really right to the end... the sheer amount of material is mindblowing.

The question is: would the networks ever consider caving and actually releasing all of it? And like I've said a few times, Jack's death is just the tip of the iceberg. So many events, so much history. And given the more time goes by, we have fewer and fewer people who actually lived through it. The greatest crime I can think of is letting those days slip into memory.

So, who do we contact? What can be done to grease the wheels to at least get people thinking about it?

10. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Well, its not the same thing - not even close, actually - but this is a really good documentary with tons of news footage throughout the 80's: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

But yeah, count me in on less highlight reels, more indepth subject matter.

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Good God, look at the price of that '80s 3-Disc set!! Holy Mackerel (and a half)!

Just think what a 50-Disc set of "JFK: As It Happened: November 22-25, 1963" would cost us? (I'd buy it...but I'm not sure how many others would.) [​IMG]

12. MattPeriolat

Oh indeed, that would be a massive set.

Could be worse though: imagine a full DVD set for the Watergate hearings or for Apollo 13 from launch to landing.

As for the Kennedy assassination... I would SUGGEST splitting it into four sets: 22 November, 23 November, 24 November and 25 November.

Drawback: you KNOW 23 November would sell the worst since that's the "nothing happened" day. Plus, with all three networks contributing, the size of the sets...

But clearly, this threat shows interest. Me personally, I just want to really SEE these events. Even in Four Days In November, it was just selections. The funeral Mass was nearly completely cut for example (yes, it's in Latin, but Cushing's eulogy where he quotes the Inagural is in English).

Fight for the news, folks, fight for the news.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I suppose you/we could write the CBS-TV Archives (if we had the address [​IMG]), or NBC or ABC, and ask about the possibility of getting archived news items to DVD.

Regarding the JFK Press Conferences I mentioned (would you buy those if available Matt? [​IMG]) -- I wrote to the JFK Library in Boston in 2005, asking about the conferences on DVD. But I never got a reply back.

I then had the opportunity to talk with noted JFK author Richard B. Trask by e-mail earlier this year, and I used that opportunity to ask if he thought there would be any market for such a "Special Interest" type of multi-disc DVD collection.

And Mr. Trask's reply was encouraging (although he has no control over the material, of course; I believe all the conference films reside at the JFK Library):

"I would assume that the Kennedy Library is on top of the newest technology to care for the most important of the Kennedy films and tapes, of which the Press Confrences would certainly be a part. I think Alan Goodrich is still audio-visual archivist there, and he is a good man. They use excerpts extensively as part of their exhibitions and there would quite probably be a solid market for the DVD you outline.

Best regards,
    Richard"
    -- March 23, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~

By the by -- You can get approx. 8 hours of both NBC-TV and WFAA-TV (ABC-TV's affiliate in Dallas) JFK assassination footage on DVD and VHS.

The WFAA material was offered up at the following website starting in 2003. It's a good set too, which includes an interactive CD-ROM with lots of good stuff on it. .....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...spe/2003/jfk//

And then there's these outrageously-expensive VHS videotapes that can still be obtained via Amazon.com ($68 for 4 hours of NBC-TV Nov. 22nd coverage [​IMG]). High-priced, but good footage. .....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_v/...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. MattPeriolat

$68 bucks for FOUR HOURS???? What's the tape made out of, titainuim?

Strange you should mention the Kennedy library as I actually ready they are in the process of transfering all of their records to electronic mediums to help preserve the originals. So, one would THINK that the possibility, however unlikely, could be in the offing.

Mmmm... I had not given much thought to the press conferences, but I do know some in Dallas were of great interest, to say nothing of I think it was CBS having an interview with Abe Zapruder just an hour or so after the assassination. I caught that once on one special with my mom and I'll never forget how white her face went when she hear Zapruder saying the film was in the hands of the FBI.

OK, let's get out of Conspiricy Corner before we all end up in trouble. The main idea here is: if we make a request of the networks to do this, let's go big: ask for everything - Kennedy, Apollo, Watergate, the whole smash. Even if they say no, at least we may plant an idea in people's heads to make money.

16. MattPeriolat

For THAT much? Um... no.

But the basic idea? All the footage, sans the extras described? I'd be on board for that assuming it's somewhat reasonable. Get it down below 300 and I might be interested enough to bite.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Well, my $2500 price tag was just tongue-in-cheek (as is the whole set). No interest in those extras? Shame, shame.

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Well, that's one "corner" you'll never ever find me in. That's for darn sure. [​IMG]

19. MattPeriolat

Interest? Oh yes. In one package? Ummm...

The ony reason I would balk is because of the fictional price tag. Plus it MAY be a bit of an overload.

Oh and I may have read too fast, but in your google groups, you neglected to list William Manchester's opus Death of a President. That's THE book on the events as they happend IMHO.

Now, back on topic: off Kennedy for a moment, no one want to re-watch the Moon Landing? Cheer at the safe return of Apollo 13? Listen to the infamous question "What did the President know and when did he know it?"

A lot survives folks. Let's work to get it.

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

You're right...that book isn't on my list. I don't have that one. I have Manchester's "One Brief Shining Moment", but not "DOAP".

Thanks for that reminder, though, Matt. I'll have to look into adding that book to the collection sometime (if still available). Much obliged. [​IMG]