What's new

Historical teams for NHL series? (1 Viewer)

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
OK why are there never any historical temas in EA's NHL series. All the other EA sports games do it? It's it about time we petitioned for some maybe? Is there an NHLPA problem?

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
There is an NHLPA problem, and I think not a great desire. Most people that play the NHL series aren't hockey fans, they are hockey video game fans.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
"Old-time hockey?" "Like Eddie Shore!"

I'm interested--would love to matchup the Broadstreet Bullies (+ Bernie Parent) against those speed-demon Oilers teams of the 80's.

I'm wondering about this NHLPA problem as well.

Evan

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Even if there IS an NHLPA problem, they can easily compile the teams, but using the players' numbers instead of names.
Madden 2002 has a whole wack of historical teams, the players just don't all have names.
Actually, thinking about this in greater detail, EA just didn't have any idea how to approach animating the players without helmets. From the buzzcuts and grecian formula of the 40s and 50s to the free flowing coifs and lambchop sideburns of the 70s, it's a lot of work! :)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
About the closest there is now is being able to use the original uniforms of teams that relocated. Figures, they don't have the Whalers uniform in there for the toilet bowls(I mean hurricanes :D ) but it is kinda fun to have something that resembles the Nordiques playing the Jets. :emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The NHLPA problem is that players which are no longer in the league cease to exist as members of the NHLPA, and therefore EA Sports would have to contact every person they wished to represent individually, and since the contract wouldn't be with one source, it would be cost prohibitive. It's the same reason that there isn't historical players in any NFL games. I have LONG fantasized about playing with Rocket Richaud and Wayne Gretzky on the same line. Playing with Mess in his prime, and that 86 oilers team. The islander teams of the early 80s with all of their incredible talent vs the early 90s canadiens team.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Sounds just like the NFLPA problems in Madden. With some notable exceptions, most of the classic players in that game were represented by numbers only.

I'd certainly accept a similar occurrence in NHL 2003 if it meant getting all of those old teams and uniforms.

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks