What's new

hissssssssssss (1 Viewer)

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed with my HT setup that there seems to be a slight hiss in the background when I have my receiver on. I am not cranking the volume loud and it is present even while viewing normal cable programs and movies. The TV is a Zenith 36" hooked to digital cable and the receiver is a Pioneer.I have attempted to keep power cords away from the speaker wires, which are not any type of exotic wire brand (I believe they were radio shack). I am not sure where to start looking for the source of the hiss. I can probably eliminate it by turning up the bass or lowering the treble on the receiver.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about a very quiet hiss coming from the speakers when the receiver is turned on? Nothing unusual there. Please describe what you're hearing a little more. Thanks.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Does the hiss get louder with the volume or is it the same no matter what volume you're at?

I have a simple Pioneer stereo receiver in my livingroom and I get a hiss.. but I believe mine is due to the crappy tweeters I used in my speakers.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if you're really bored, i would start unplugging components from your receiver one by one.

i did this and discovered that (for some reason) the dvd's video out was causing a buzz in my left channel. my fix? unplug the dang thing when i'm not watching a dvd...yes i know it's 'mickey mouse repair' but i couldn't figure anything else out.

you may also want to focus on any components feeding a tv cable signal. i hear that tv cable is a common source of system buzz.

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
The hiss is similar to the tape hiss on 8 tracks and cassettes, which was supposedly eliminated by the introduction of Dolby. It does increase with volume but is not really noticeable when there is audio being emitted from the speakers, it's just an annoyance. While I'm at it here is alist of my system, I know it's lightweight but I really just got into the whole home theater scene and $$ is a big consideration:

Pioneer VSX405 Receiver

EPI 120 series 3 Main Speakers

KLM 687's Rear and center speakers

Philips DVD 621 player

Magnavox OSD VCR

Pioneer PD-F505 CD player

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Which Pioneer receiver and speakers are you using? Quality speakers will resolve the poor noise floor from a cheaper receiver or front-end piece of equipment. Many CDs of older performances (pre digital) also have this hiss sound.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I think what your hearing is the difference between the lower priced receivers S/N Level (Signal to Noise) & a higher quality receiver. If you can find a test report on your Pioneer receiver take a look at what the S/N Level is.

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input, as Greg and Bill stated it could be the receiver's signal/noise ratio or the speakers. The equipment is about 5 years old and not in the price range alot of you probably shop in but then again as I said earlier the noise isn't really loud, its just noticable when there isn't any movie,cd, or program audio coming out from the speakers. I'll upgrade after I get done remodeling the house (150years old), right now I'm doing the Living room/home theater and have gutted the ceiling,walls and started insulation/plasterboarding.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks