hissing at low volumes on SONY receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

I have a sony STR DB940 receiver. I have recently noticed loud hissing at fairly low volumes(turned up about a third of the way, between 3 and 4 on the dial). i asked a friend what he thought and he said it was background noise but i am unconvinced. We tried out a quiet scene on a dvd on his system and there is considerably less hissing. This is really confusing me as most of my system components are the same make as his but better models. watching any sort of quiet scene is unbearable at the volume i want to listen to, if i turn the dial down to about 2 the hissing seems to stop but it is just too quiet.
    i haven't noticed this until about a month ago and i used to have movies at about half way on my amp, sometimes even up to 6.
    could someone please help.
    my other components are:
    eltax symphony 8.2 front speakers
    eltax symphony centre speaker
    eltax monitor 3 rear speakers
    paradigm pdr10 subwoofer
    toshiba sd200e dvd player
    ixos coax cable
    cable talk 3.1 biwirable speaker cable
    ------------------

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Richard, lots of possible culprits here.
    How is your DVD connected to the receiver? Digital or analog? Analog will introduce more noise (hiss).
    I looked on Sony's web site and couldn't find your receiver. Personally I don't think much of Sony's non 'ES' products... but, and honestly I'm not trying to put your system down, if your receiver was relatively inexpensive (

3. Richard cash

cheers for the info paul.My receiver has recently been upgraded to the 1070, thats why you cant find it on the website (UK). It cost me £400, thats about $650-700 i think. Its not in the ES range but the QS range, one below i think. I connect using a ixos digital coax cable which cost me £70 so i would be quite annoyed if it was that. I have tried another dvd player but i get the same results.
    i was reading in a magazine that the speaker cables can pick up interfearence if they are close to power cables etc, i have tried to seperate them as far as possible but do you think that this my be a possible source.
    ------------------

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

interconnects can pick up a lot of radiation from a TV.
    I once had noise and moved my interconnections about 2 inches away from the TV and it went completely away.
    Cable can cause a Ground Loop...try disconnecting ...If applicable
    If you cannot move wires cable etc...flexible metal conduit is great and cheap
    Run your interconnects through it and the metal sheilds your cables from noise (if the ends are sharp just put some Ducct tape over so it doesn't cut your cables
    S/B ~ 25p a ft. from a DIY store
    My Tv is next to my audio seperates. I have a metal sheet that I placed between them for extra shielding. It's inside the cabinet so it can't be seen. A few pounds I expect (always noticed how the dollar /pound prices are the same...no matter what the exchange rate)
    I have over 1400watts and forget the system is on because of the lack of noise.
    cheers
    grant
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

5. Richard cash

thanks grant, could you just explain a little on what ground loop interfearance is? What do you mean when you say disconnect, are you on about the power from the wall or the speaker cables for the speakers
    cheers
    ------------------

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Richard, maybe try headphones into the receiver. If there's no hiss, it's a speaker connect problem. If there is, it's a receiver problem.

7. Bryan Williams

Good Afternoon Richard;
    As I too own a Sony receiver as well as the fact that I actually worked for Sony for 8 years in a former life might I suggest that it may be related to the DSP modes. As far as I am aware, one of the nasty side effects of DSP modes can be a hiss from the speakers as many DSP modes attempt to create the illusion of other speakers in the room. I can attest that the manual for my STR-V555ES specifically states that DSP modes (this is especially true in any of SONY's digital cinema modes with "virtual" speakers)can cause this depending on the mode and the settings of that particular mode. Try running your unit with the DSP off and set the amp to bypass the DSP if it is an option. If you still hear the hiss, then it may be another culprit, YOu may also want to try reducing the effect level or the room size, etc.. of your amp in the various modes as well.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sorry Richard
    If your Model has video switching; sometimes a Cable TV connection can cause a loud hum.
    A friend of mine had that problem, the moment he dissconnect ed the cable Tv, the humm disappeared.
    If you only use the DVD player for video, this would not apply
    Is the hiss coming from all speakers or just one?
    Try going to an unused input
    set decoding to digital (if possible)
    Then try turning up it up
    what does it to then ?(It should get very dirty right at the very max-disreguard that)
    Do you have a 2 ch analog bypass mode? What then?
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart

9. Richard cash

cheers guys, tried a few of the suggestions seems to have worked now. i think the main reason was because i had it on one of the DSP modes, cinema ex B. I will use normal mode from now on
    ------------------