What's new

Hiss with Denon 3802 on Klipsch Reference (1 Viewer)

KyleY

Grip
Hey all,

I now have my Denon 3802 plus Klipsch reference series (RF3 II) 5.1 set (no sub yet though). Anyway, when playing CDs through my DVD player's optical output (or my old CD player's RCA output), I hear hiss (or static?) at moderately high volumes (starts around -22 on the volume dial). It's enough to make me sick that I spent this much money and have hiss / static to deal with. I hear the hiss in all 5 speakers (or both fronts when in regular stereo mode). It's most noticable during quiet / silent parts of the CD tracks. Any idea what the problem may be and what I can do to fix it?

Could it be a power issue? I had an old powerstrip, but now I'm using an RCA "home theater" power strip that has a noise filter, etc. Probably not ideal, but I didn't notice any difference with it (and only my DVD player and receiver plugged into it). I have tried with no other components turned on (TV, etc.).

Could it be the Denon? If so, what should I do? Contact Denon?

Could it be speaker wires? I'm using 14 guage wire from Home Depot (I know, not great stuff). I may get some good wire to try, but I'm afraid that's not it. Aside from the static at higher volumes (it can still go way higher), it sounds very good.

When watching a DVD, I didn't notice the hiss, but I wasn't listening for it as much then...

This system is all brand new, and I've just been testing it out. I think I even heard a few pops and clicks at high volumes as well, but that may have been my imagination... Thanks in advance for advice,

--Kyle

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt that it is the wire or the power strip. How close do you need to get to the speakers to hear the hiss?

You could try the internal test tones and see if you get hiss there. Somewhere between the CD/DVD and the speakers is the problem and checking the internal test tones will help narrow it down.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a common problem. My 3802 is in the shop right now due to hiss on all channels at ANY volume or any source. It is easily noticable from 5 feet away and definately noticable up to 10 feet away during silent passages! Take it back to where you bought it and ask them to check it out!

KyleY

Grip
Roger,

I notice the hiss when I'm a good distance from the speakers at high volumes, but it's most noticable right next to them. The test tones just sound like static to me, so I'm not sure how I'd differentiate, but I'll give it a try...

Tom,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I guess... Is it something they can fix though, or is it a problem with all these receivers? Maybe I'll be making a call to Denon. Thanks,

--Kyle

John Royster

Screenwriter
also realize that noise may be in the CD recording itself.

Do you hear any noise with the CD player stopped? If not then it is the recording. If so then that may just be the noise floor of your system. Do this test with the digital connection only and disconnet any other gear connected to the receiver - just two speakers, digitally connection CD player. It will help you isolate any noise issues.

my 3802 is dead silent even at +10 but then again my speakers are about 91 db sensitivity (yours are much higher) and I have all power cables routed away from interconnects routed away from speaker cable.

hope this helps.

-edit- I didn't see what CD player you were using?

KyleY

Grip
Hey John,

No, I don't hear anything with the CD player stopped (IIRC). It sounds possible that it's just the CD recordings, but it's mostly relatively new music so I wouldn't expect problems (i.e. Pearl Jam - Yield).

The CD player I'm using is a Toshiba 5 disk DVD changer (don't remember the model, but it's an older one).

I don't have power cables routed separately, but that's something I should do when I get my RPTV in about 1 1/2 weeks. Could power cables running along with the speaker wire cause problems? They are right now (all going through the same hole in the back of my ent. center). Glad to hear the + experience with your 3802. Thanks,

--Kyle

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
audio spectrum wise is hiss upper end, mid range or low end of the spectrum. I have heard of the 3802 hissing problem so many times (the 3802 brought back the famous Denon warm sound like the 3300 along with the QC issues of the 3300:D) and most of the time the speakers it is hooked up to are Klipsh. Now since Klipsch is regarded bright (not in a derogatory sense) would the 3802 hiss be more pronounced with Klipsch then with another speaker with warm sound? Just curious.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Which CD's are you playing? It is virtually certain to be the recordings. Try a CD which is a fully digital recording (usually marked "DDD") and see if you still hear a hiss. Or just rotate a bunch of different CD's. You should notice that the hiss varies from nothing to extreme.

KyleY

Grip
Wow, thanks again for all the helpful replies. I didn't have time last night, but I will try again tonight with additional CDs and the other tips suggested here. My RPTV gets delivered on Saturday, so I'll rewire things then as well - perhaps that will make a difference too. Take care,

--Kyle

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
I have had this problem with one of my old AV receivers. Constant hissing.
Turned out there was a snake trapped inside the grill of my receiver. I let him out. Boy was he pissed.
;)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Hey, Joseph I had a similar problem when the cat entered the speaker through the port hole. Port turbulance along with hissss.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I have a 3802 paired with Klipsch RB5 for the mains. I have no hiss when using the digital inputs, and the volume turned up to max (+18). If I turn on one of the DSP modes, I get a little more hiss, but nothing major. However, if I use the analog inputs, I get a lot more hiss, but this is to be expected, as the analog inputs won't be as clean as the digital inputs. If you are getting the noise at -22, then that seems like there is a problem some where.

If you pause your CD player and you still get hiss, it isn't the CD. If it goes away, most likely it is the background noise on the CD.

Bryan

KyleY

Grip
Hi all,

Well, I've done more testing and I'm not too happy with the results:

1. The hiss occurs immediately when I take the volume from off to -70 (the first volume setting). I just hadn't noticed it before.

2. The hiss gets slightly louder as I turn up the volume to max. Also, as I turn up the volume I notice faint pops and clicks (this is with no source playing) as the volume is being adjusted.

3. It doesn't matter whether the input is optical or RCA (DVD or CD player) or even FM radio - all hiss. All of my testing was actually done with nothing even playing - just the DVD or CD player on pause or off.

4. Doesn't matter what DSP mode it's in - Direct, Stereo, 5 channel stereo, dolby, etc.

5. The hiss is in all 5 speakers at all volume levels.

So, what's the verdict? Bad Denon? Should I see about getting it serviced or try to return it altogether? Thanks everyone for the help!

--Kyle

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
This is exactly the problem I have. With the volume up one click from off (-70) I hear the hiss. I have been told that this is a defective unit from other Denon users. You should have it checked out.

KyleY

Grip
Okay, I found another very odd thing about my problem:

When I turn the volume all the way up to +15, the hiss gets louder, but I could *also* hear an FM radio station! I could hear it loud enough that I could clearly make out the song anywhere in the room - "Running with the Devilllll..." I could clearly hear it with my ear to the speaker as low as -16 on the volume.

So, what might this mean? Thanks again,

--Kyle

BTW, this is the radio station I currently have tuned in on the FM tuner in the receiver.

BTW2, I have just a speaker wire that is plugged into my antenna connector at the back of the receiver. That speaker wire (antenna) runs along with all the other wires as well.

This evening I plan to unhook the receiver, place it in a corner by itself with one of my RF3-II towers (only one hooked up) with nothing but the wall plug and one speaker wire connected to the receiver, and I'll see if I still have hiss and / or the radio interference.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Yes....Unfortunately this happened to me too. Except I believe it was the TV signal that was bleeding through. :frowning:

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Klipsch speakers are very efficiant so they will magnify any problems (or shortcomings) in the rest of your equipment.Denon rcvrs have had more QC issues of late than I'd like to see............

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
With the volume at -70, check 'direct' mode then go to any other source. Did it get louder? When going from my DVD source to direct mode the hiss gets a little softer. Its still too much hiss, but I did notice it was softer in direct mode.

I'm curious to see if we have the same exact problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks