What's new

Hiss louder after electrician...help (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Wow, what an experience!! Short story. Finally went separate, got a hiss. Unplug everything except speakers, got a hiss, hear it from only 3-4 inches. Invite a friend, electrician. We redo all the grounding at the servive panel, 2 new rods (old one was under the house...), reground sat-dish and coax to this new rod (was grounded fast and dirty on a light fixture lol),all the house grounds redirected there (so no loop), 20A dedicated circuit with high magnetic breaker, cable-loop-ground isolater from RatShack from the coax feed...and... the hiss from tweeters is like 10 times louder, even ear it from my main listening position now, and spreading into a hum from the woofers (was not there before) !!! What's happening!!! Help me...

By the way, my electrician friend told me a funny story. Farmers are fighting, like us (lol) against ground loop. Cows don't drink if they feel a ground "current" in their watering place...Talk about a double-blind test!! Humans cannot feel this current, but cows feel it...No audiophile anymore, but cowdiophile...

I demand equality with cows. No more hiss or ground loop for me. Help me.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Ok! I will assume that you have tried various grounding wire combinations between the equipment????? You know= everything hooked up and take off various grounding wires to see how it effects the hiss and hum.

Also, are you using a back up power supply or surge????? If so, try direct.
Also! Did you split the grounding conductor and grounded conductor on you isolated circuit? 3 distinct wires to the main the panel/not the sub panel and do a separate ground (30 ' deep) for the isolated circuit at least 20 feet from your other ground rods. Be careful! You could make your house an attractive place for lightning to find a home. Most grounding grids need to be away from the house and designed to funnel excess electrons way from the house. That is how I did mine.

And if all that fails, un-create your isolated circuit. You could be picking up a signal off of nearby wires or your ground is insufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks