What's new

Hisense U9DG and Gaming (1 Viewer)

Geoff Goldstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoffrey
Hey folks! I'm intrigued by the U9DG, thinking of using it in one of our media rooms (for the kids mainly).

Rtings say it exhibits "terrible ghosting" when using to play games. Mr Zohn (and anyone else who could answer)- could the "ghosting" be eliminated via the various settings? Is there any way you could get Mr D-Nice to look into it? Enjoyed your videos on FOMO and WhisperStatus.

I like how it's a nice compromise for a room with low ambient lighting, and no risk of permanent image retention! I know it must be a great TV for movie watching but it would be nice if the kids could "game" on it.

==== EDIT +++

I'm wondering if using the HDMI 2.0/60Hz inputs would stop the "ghosting" (instead of using the HDMI 2.1/120Hz inputs)...?

==== EDIT +++

!Happy Hanukkah! ... and thank you.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can’t speak for the U9DG but this year’s U8G (specifically the 65” variety) has terrible motion issues, even after the latest firmware and TCON “update” and all motion enhancements turned off. Still shots look exceptional but everything else is a step back from what I’m used to with a 12 year old plasma display. I don’t play any games on it and I only use it for movies and streaming a few select tv shows.

To watch any content with normal screen brightness, you either have to endure really bad stutter / judder or whatever it’s called when there are any panning shots or action is happening in front of a light or white background, or you have to enable motion smoothing and deal with the soap opera effect. You can use the Film motion setting which mostly takes away the SOE and makes movies look more like what they should but most of your close-up shots of actors talking and moving seem to look like shifting sand… always just a bit blurry. The only fix I’ve found is to enable Filmmaker Mode which, aside from disabling all noise reduction and motion enhancements like I did right out of the box anyway, apparently re-enables Motion Clearness (black frame insertion) to lower backlight flicker. This helps tremendously but cuts the max brightness from 1500 nits to 100 nits, producing a very dark image with crushed blacks. It’s ok in a completely dark room but if you have any ambient light, it can be a bit hard to watch. Honestly, it’s the only way I’m able to watch anything on it with any satisfaction.

Geoff Goldstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoffrey
Thanks for your detailed reply, very informative. I suppose we'll stick to Sony then, they seem to have the best motion handling.

What a shame that one of the most important aspects of a television is let down by poor processing of fast moving objects. We've had great luck with our last three Sony televisions (X900F; X930E; X950H)- I suppose for motion, Sony is the best. Games rely on smooth motion- unfortunately, your reply is exactly what I needed to see! I'd get a Samsung QN90A for the kids, but I'm dubious of Samsung's QC, and can't help thinking with so many mini-LEDs, it's only a matter of time before some of them malfunction.

Yeah, I've read a lot about Hisense's processing- it's a budget brand- I'll stay a Sony Snob then. :)

The U9DG is probably a great TV for non-gamers/(non-)sport watchers. I bet films look really good with that contrast ratio!

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hello Geoff and welcome to HTF!

I agree that the video scaling and processing is not the best, but it's also true that no TV brand or model handles video processing as well as Sony's new XR processor manages all of the image performance elements.

An OLED TV will deliver the very best overall picture quality and sone the 2018 model year LG and Sony built-in several technologies that greatly reduce the threat of static burn in. If you want the best LCD/LED TV it's Sony's X95J or Samsung's QN90A with a nod for the X95J with the new World Class XR processor.

Geoff Goldstein

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoffrey
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to respond to my posting. Yes, I've read a lot about the measures that LG have implemented to reduce the risk of burn in, and since the 65" C1 is at such a reasonable price, I think I might just plump for that. I'll make sure my kids treat it well- no static images for hours a day- and varied content.

I've really wanted to get the U9DG but the ghosting issue means to me it's for more suited to movie watching than gaming.

For our next Great room TV, I'm looking forward to what Sony have up their sleeves for next year. Hey, I will tell my NY/NJ friends to consider visiting your store the next time they're looking for a TV! Already looking forward to next year's Shoot-out! That Sony A90J sure is tempting... but a hard sell with my wife- we only got the X950H back in June this year! Since I use this TV for Internet use, it's probably not a good idea... I don't need the browser getting cumulatively etched into the screen, as it were. Keep up the good work, you have a lovely wife- I watched the Whisperstatus74 video of the U9DG.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
To watch any content with normal screen brightness, you either have to endure really bad stutter / judder or whatever it’s called when there are any panning shots or action is happening in front of a light or white background, or you have to enable motion smoothing and deal with the soap opera effect...
Unfortunately, that's true of every current LCD and OLED, and it's noticeably worse in HDR.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to respond to my posting. Yes, I've read a lot about the measures that LG have implemented to reduce the risk of burn in, and since the 65" C1 is at such a reasonable price, I think I might just plump for that. I'll make sure my kids treat it well- no static images for hours a day- and varied content.

I've really wanted to get the U9DG but the ghosting issue means to me it's for more suited to movie watching than gaming.

For our next Great room TV, I'm looking forward to what Sony have up their sleeves for next year. Hey, I will tell my NY/NJ friends to consider visiting your store the next time they're looking for a TV! Already looking forward to next year's Shoot-out! That Sony A90J sure is tempting... but a hard sell with my wife- we only got the X950H back in June this year! Since I use this TV for Internet use, it's probably not a good idea... I don't need the browser getting cumulatively etched into the screen, as it were. Keep up the good work, you have a lovely wife- I watched the Whisperstatus74 video of the U9DG.
Great choice to go with LG's 65C1! The Black Friday/Holiday price of $1,799 ends December 26th. So don't miss out on this lowest price of the year promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weird_home_theater
Recent bookmarks