"Hiroshima, Mon Amour" and "Ali - Fear Eats the Soul"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MattHenderson, Jul 7, 2003.

1. MattHenderson

I got shot down for asking about a review of the new "Manhunter" DVD, as I didn't remember the search feature. Well, I used the search feature and found out the details on that release, but couldn't find any reviews of "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" or "Ali - Fear Eats the Soul." Can some kind-hearted soul please provide the low-down on these discs? I know what is supposed to be included on the discs, but how are the transfers, extras, etc.? Thanks!

Matt

P.S. - Very excited about the "Wings of Desire" release, seems like MGM did a good job. Now when are we getting my favorite Wenders film, "Paris, Texas?"

2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Another hearty recommendation for Ali: Fear Eats The Soul. Not only an extraordinary and heartbreaking piece of filmmaking, but a sensational transfer and an entire second disc full of extras. Unmissable.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Since no one has addressed Hiroshima, mon amour, I'll take a stab. I didn't review it for dOc, but I did watch it Saturday so it's still fresh in my mind. It's very slow-moving, and there's not really much of a plot: it starts off as a documentary about Hiroshima and then evolves into a slightly cryptic story of an affair in 1959 Hiroshima between a French actress and a Japanese architect (though the commentary refers to him as an engineer at one point--there seems to be a translation issue somewhere). Along the way we learn more about the woman's past and how she came to her current situation. It has some intense moments but it's a very interior drama. Don't expect any action.

The video transfer is utterly outstanding. I've never seen such a gorgeous black-and-white rendering on DVD. I can't stop raving about how beautiful a job Criterion did on this; it looks like film and there is an incredible amount of detail. The audio claims to have been restored but it's a fairly noisy and nasty-sounding mono (I like mono just fine, but this doesn't sound good at all). I suppose there's a limit to what wonders could be done with the original audio.

Criterion regular Peter Cowie provides a very good commentary to the picture, giving a fair amount of historical background as well as giving Resnais' work a context. There are also interviews with Resnais and star Emmanuelle Riva both at the time and from years afterwards (Riva's modern interview is brand new and quite engaging). It's definitely a worthwhile addition to the Criterion Collection.

I haven't gotten to Ali yet, though, so I will remain silent on that count.