What's new

Hills have Eyes (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
So I didn't see an official discussion for this yet, so thought I'd ask if anyone has seen it yet. I'm going today. RT is at 50% so seems like a love it/hate it type. Hope I'm in the love it camp.

I'll post back after I see it.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Saw it last night. Some great moments, the build up and the first attack were great and overall I enjoyed the film. However, after the first attack the remaining film could not live up to this and resorted to gore and loud moments to shock you. It was also let down by a typical cliched horror ending which was unnecessary.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought that it was pretty good. Not amazing but a worthy remake. It was very faithful to the original except for the seqeunce in the abandoned town and the use of the original's alternate ending. It had some good scares and eventhough it's early in the year, I'd bet that it will be one of the best horror movies of the year.

When I saw it, two people left during the opening credits (which is about 2 or 3 minutes into the movie). I guess from the ads they thought that they were going to see a light hearted comedy instead of a movie about crazy mutants killing people. :)

I'd say that this is easily one of the best horror remakes ever and probably one of the better remakes of any movie.

RyanJM

Grip
This movie, more than anything, was just annoying.
Overall: 5/10

*Spoilers below*

The behavior of the characters was stupid. Everyone acted unrealistically to tons of key situations.

1) The father, who is a retired detective, panics and sprays bullets around in the dark when he has a six-shooter. Then gets into his car w/o checking the back after the door was open w/his back turned.

2) The dad's on fire, it's obvious that someone killed him and set him on fire, and yet people just sit there and cry instead of worry for their safety and the people around them. That is ridiculous. They acted as people would if they saw their house on fire, when they should have acted like someone was killed right in front of them and the killers are hiding in the dark.

3) The kid is handed a gun by his police-man father (so it's obvious he knows how to use it and has had training), and yet when the bad guys run away from the trailer he fires the gun while jumping around like an idiot. You would be so enraged by what you saw w/your dad etc... that you would just immediately take the shooter's stance and empty a full clip. He fires three bullets while hopping around. Sure.

4) The husband goes into town and sees a mutant dragging a body w/a shotty in one hand. He's 10 feet away and not seen, has a baseball bat in his hand, and decides to hide...sure. You saw your wife murdered and your baby kidnapped. You swing the bat at the mutant's head until he is dead and take his gun. End of story.

5) Same guy then goes into house where baby is being held, decides to sneak past woman watching TV rather than bash her skull in. Then holds baby in both hands trying to sneak away. Great move. A minor nitpick is when he's in the box trying to break out, my brother and I both thought the same thing: Curl up and use your legs to kick it. They're only 3 times stronger than your arms...

6) Same guy is in house, gets saved by dog, gets his bat and decides to hide rather than take advantage of the dog's help and kill the guy w/the help of the dog.

7) Kid goes on angry march to kill mutants that took mom. Finds mom being eaten and decides he is now scared, and will run away firing bullets w/one arm behind him. Kid is now certified dumbest person alive, and least likely to ever be clutch in a pressure sitation.

8) Hero guy drops shotty next to mutant he just "killed". Seems to happen a lot in movies.

Random other complaints:

-Every 15 yr old boy in movies like this is a "punk kid" and generally useless.

-They are in the desert, stopped on a very flat spot, and yet somehow the mutants can sneak up on them with relative ease.

I can't understand how it's so hard to make characters at least act normally and with half a brain. I'm continually amazed that some of these scripts get greenlighted, and wonder at the abilities of writers that spend weeks and months writing crap like this. And don't say "If they acted smart the movie would be over in 20 mins", because my brother and I thought out fixes to the movie in 10 mins that would have made it both believable and entertaining.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The only problem with nitpicks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 is that it expects people to have a clear head in an insane crisis. No one would have the presence of mind to do all the things that you say they should have done. It's way more believable for people to panic than for them to grab a "shotty" or "immediately take the shooter's stance and empty a full clip".

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I just hope to be entertained. The original was pretty good, but nothing I would put on a pedestal.

RyanJM

Grip
Travis, I thought that it wasn't so much a clear head, but rather realistic reactions. You don't need to have a clear head to be afraid for your safety and return to your trailer w/your gun out and ready. You don't need a clear head to be angry and fall back on your training w/a weapon to empty a full clip while standing the only way you ever stand while firing a gun. You don't need a clear head to be angry and take a bat to every mutant in sight. And you certainly don't need a clear head to put 2 in the chest and 1 in the head of a guy eating your mom's body.

A clear head would be calmly executing people. A realistic reaction is all I was asking for :)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I thought the original was fairly average. Nothing more. I didn't see it until the 2000's though, so I am sure I didn't get the experience someone in the 70's would have.

I will check this remake out on DVD since it's coming out in June as an unrated release.

I was suppose to see this theatrically, but decided against it when hearing of an unrated DVD being released only a few months from now.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I saw it last night. I agree somewhat with some of Ryan's comments. But they didn't bug me nearly as much. Some of the character reactions were stupid, but mostly I did take it as they're in a crazy f'd up situation, so they're not going to be reacting normally. Though the stupid, leaving the shotgun next to the "deadguy" was extremely cliche'... everyone in the entire audience knew he was going to stand up. I think if he'd just walked up and blasted the guy's head off, that the audience would have cheered.... but they had to go with the stupid horror standby ending.

On the whole though, I really enjoyed the film. The original certainly wasn't a classic, mainly just a good idea for a horror film. I thought the remake was actually better. I appreciated how brutal it was... the character development was done decently, so you actually cared about these people, which made the situation that much harder to watch.

Probably the best horror film I've seen since the Dawn of the Dead remake.... I'd sure love to see an original horror film.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I saw it last night. I thought it was fine (basically a 6/10). It seemed to me that the movie was not sure what it wanted to be: a serious horror film (as evidenced by the graphic violence and initial attack scene) or a throw-back to the glory days of 70's horror (as evidenced by the many horror cliches and overly triumphant rock score in moments of success).

I have to commend Alexandre Aja. He's a great director. The shots and composition of the film were great. If Hollywood can match this guy up with a script without implausible plot turns (High Tension) and without abundant cliches (Hills), we'll have a real winner on our hands.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Saw it last night and thought it was great. I'm very suprised they got away with alot of the upclose gore shots.

Could you imagine a Friday the 13 that could get away this much violence and gore?

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Saw it last night and overall thought it was a great little horror flick. The one point that was touched on was the cliche ending, it really could have avoided that, however not that big of a deal.

I don't see the point to do too much nitpicking in a horror film, but I will agree to some extent that the stupidy of some of the scenes were slightly distracing.

But man...was that a gore-fest or what?:emoji_thumbsup:

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I didn't realize it was the same director as High Tension. The guy definitely has some talent. If they gave him a top notch script, he could create a real classic. He's certainly not shy when it comes to the gore.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was pretty mediocre myself. Oh, and regarding this:

Wait until you see THE DESCENT, which Lion's Gate should be releasing here in the States. It's the best horror film I've seen in many, many years.

Vincent

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing I thought was pretty bad ass was that the hippie husband ends up being just as riddiculously resilient as the mutants are. Just when you're sure he's finally down for the count, he gathers himself up and kicks some mutant ass. Reminded me a lot of Ash without the humor.

If they do a sequel, it'd be interesting to extropolate to the future with the brother/sister and the mutants in an endless battle, having reached a sort of equilibrium. Most horror movies just have the heroes picked off one by one, I liked that in this one they gave as good as they got. You blow my wife's brains out and steal my baby? I'll stick a fucking pick-axe in your head.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

Didn't realise this hadnt come out in the States yet. It's been nearly a year since its UK release. For those that have a multiregion DVD, its released on a great R2 2 disc DVD in the UK if you want it. And it is a great horror film.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Being a bit of a gore hound, how many scenes of the mutants eating people were there?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Saw the unrated version on dvd over the weekend and I wish that I could wipe the memory of this disgrace from my mind.

This isn't horror, this is an exercise is sadism and is completely devoid of anything even resembling entertaining horror. I don't mind gore, in fact, I encourage it in the right context, but my idea of fun isn't watching the senseless slaughter of a family, their pets (as an animal lover, that really pissed me off, especially the parakete, plus i'm just plain sick in general of horror films killing animals simply because "they're there") and the threatening of an infant with guns and a meat cleaver after shooting his mother in the head right in front of him.

That last part was just hitting below the belt and was uncalled for in the extreme.

The only death that I thought was cool was when the gas station attendant blew his own head off with a shotgun,
everything else was depraved garbage IMO.

This film, IMO, was just plain sick and didn't do a thing for me except make me feel bad. There was also no happy ending in sight, despite what the film would have us believe, sure they killed all of the mutants, but now what? They saw most of their family murdered in some of the sickest ways imaginable, they are going to be screwed up for life after that ordeal and the baby will grow up without a mother.

Nice.

Not saying that horror films need a happy ending, but the filmmakers shouldn't pretend that it has one when it clearly doesn't, that's all i'm saying here.

After seeing both High Tension and now this, i'm a little concerned about the mental stability of this director, I don't think he's quite "right" if you get my drift, he seems to get off on this type of shit a little too much IMO.

A horror film like the Dawn of the Dead remake was just my cup of tea, fun and just a wild ride, this was neither, I can see the murder of an innocent family on the news every night, I don't need to see it in my horror. Horror should have at least some degree of theraputic value to it in addition to being enjoyable, this had no redeeming value at all.

Utter crap. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks