What's new

Hill's Absinthe (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
This product I just found out is available in Canada. It is not yet available where I live but that is besides the point at the moment. My first question is, is this stuff any good? Secondly, I see that it contains the ingredent that causes the mind bending effects or what have you(like Moulin Rouge I'm assuming), but my question is how water down is it? Are they just selling the name? I'm looking for a complete mind warp here, I'm more just curious has to how something like this is legal if it can still preform under it's stereotyped effects.
Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you better lay off the toads, Chris.

I expect it is a marketing scheme, Chad.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I had Absinthe while in Germany a couple months ago. I was already pretty toasted at the time and the waitress at the pub I was in offered it for free to a buddy and me...so we said why not.

I just remember it burning like hell on the way down, but I really didn't have any ill effects or any "mind warps" that I could remember anyway :) Of course, I didn't drink that much of the stuff...

Ina (the waitress), if you are listening, thanks :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I think the ingredient in question is called "Wormwood" or something to that effect, and supposedly it's only available in a tiny village somewhere in Europe. There is a great featurette on the From Hell 2-disc DVD that explains it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
From the context, I'm guessing there's a "not" missing from that "mind warp" line.

In any case, here's a resource to help you separate fact from fiction

Just remember, "Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." :)

Regards,

Joe

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing with this HIll's stuff that the "mind warp" is caused by the %70 alky factor. REally at that point, 2 or 3 and you won't remember what ever crazy effects it will do. And I did see that From Hell doc and I loved it. I wish I could just get my hands on the real thing, just so curious about it. I don't suppose there is a way to import the stuff?
Thanks

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Chad, most Absinthe is 70%, which is why you water it down 5 parts water to 1 part Absinthe. Spain is the easiest place to get good Absinthe from. There are a few stores that will ship a bottle to you although they charge an exhorbitant price. You can buy Mari Mayans for 15 Euro at duty free in Madrid, whereas you'll pay about 3 times that plus shipping. Probably end up costing about 80 USD for a bottle if you go that route. You should know that modern Absinthe contains much less Thujone (the mind altering substance in wormwood) than 100 years ago, due to EU regulations. As much as 95% less. Also, many brands, such as Hill's, that claim to contain wormwood don't. Water reacts with the wormwood and causes it to turn from green to white (the "louche"), which Hill's does not.

Like anything else, there are really good brands and really bad brands. Stick to Deva, Mari Mayans or some of the other Spanish absinthes and you'll be happy. Avoid Czech Absinthe at all costs, unless you're looking to just get smashed. Swiss and French are the best, but trying to get them on this side of the pond is a pain.

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/index.html has a lot of good info.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Drinking something just seems a little more attractive to me than licking toads. But then again, I never use public washrooms....
THanks

Kevin T

Screenwriter
yes...the colors smell wonderful don't they? and i especially love the way music tastes.

kevin t

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
(a day or two ago, i thought I posted here a reply, turns out I didnt :frowning: although I was a little altered)

I have tried absinthe once, about a year ago and it was really fun. I dont remember what kind it was but it was like 80.00 a bottle.
Smoked a bowl afterwards and it was very very fun.
good luck:emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
As of right now I don't think I will get to try any anytime soon. It's just a lot more expensive then I thought it was. Just a huge rarity in Canada period. Perhaps later though....
Thanks for the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks