Hilary Swank as........

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ScottR, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I have been thinking that Hilary Swank would be a perfect choice to play Amelia Earhart if a biopic were to be made. And if it were well-done, Oscar probably wouldn't be far behind.

Come to think of it, Annette Bening wouldn't be bad either.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It will be interesting to see which direction Swank's career goes in. She is only the fourth actress to win two Best Actress Awards by the age of 30. The others being Bette Davis, Luise Rainer and Jodie Foster. While Davis had a long and successful career and the book on Jodie Foster is not closed yet, I hope Swank's career doesn't end up like Rainer. Rainer's career was basically over just two years after winning her second Best Actress Award. Another of Hollywood's true, but sad stories.

In the future, Swank needs to be careful and I can only find one film still in the pre-production stage that she is involved with. According to her, she made little money in her first award winning role something like $5000 or less. Hopefully, she can have a productive and more lucrative career in the future, since too many actresses without her acting chops are doing well in their careers.

Crawdaddy

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Swank spent considerable time in the last few years pursuing Broadway ambitions that didn't pan out. It wouldn't surprise me if she used the cachet of her second Oscar win to try to restart that effort.

She was all set to appear in a revival of The Miracle Worker, but that closed out of town -- a rare occurrence these days -- after weak reviews and poor advance sales. The advance sales included me, and I was very sad to have to turn in my tickets for a refund.

She also lobbied very hard for the role based on Marilyn Monroe in last season's revival of Arthur Miller's After the Fall. I attended the reading sponsored by the company that ultimately mounted the show, at which Swank read the part. I thought she was magical, but the role ultimately went to Carla Gugino (who, it must be said, did a wonderful job).

M.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

With that second Best Actress Oscar, Swank should have more clout and name recognition now both with the industry and the public. She should be able to do what she wants as long as it is an interesting concept especially pursuing those ambitions on the Great White Way.

~Edwin

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As far as I can see she has only one smart career move to make....
    The Core II: Crusty's Revenge.

6. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Swank is a physical actress, I can see her career going more down the Sigourney Weaver path than Jodie Foster or Better Davis. She shouldn't shy away from action blockbusters (those never hurt Sigourney - she earned an Oscar nod for Aliens), she should just avoid BAD ones.

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

The good thing is, from reading interviews, she still sounds pretty down-to-earth. I have no doubt she'll do well. I do agree that getting her into good action roles will only enhance her resume. (While The Core was a pretty bad movie, she came across really well.)

I wonder if the fact that she's not conventially good looking (by Hollywood standards) hurts her a bit.

Jason

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Winning Oscars, even two of them, doesn't necessarily add that much more clout for actors and actresses in Hollywood. Being in movies that make money is what does that. Since M$B has been pretty sucessful financially, given its relatively small budget, I think it was likely to get her more good movie opportunities even if she hadn't won the Oscar this time around.

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well there is one small issue for Swank, both winning roles fit a somewhat similar image. Boyish character with seriously depressing outcome for them. I'm sincere when I say that IMO her M$Baby character could have been her Boys Don't Cry character if only she had escaped that situation and gone off to pursue a boxing career to make something of herself.

Just consider some of the people that are antognists in both films as well. She's not typecast yet, but she could be. A strong glamour role wouldn't hurt right about now to establish range with the general public.

Keep in mind that Affair of the Necklace didn't exactly come off so well, and then there is that whole Core thing already mentioned.

As great as 2 Oscars are (and it is impressive) I think a career still requires good choices. A film can make you and it only takes a few bad ones to break you. Murphy saw how bad it can get with BHC3 and Travolta is in a never-ending battle to keep afloat it seems (in terms of roles/career).

10. Stephen-J

Stephen-J Auditioning

Michael Reuben wrote:

"She also lobbied very hard for the role based on Marilyn Monroe..."

You've got to be kidding. That's like danny devito lobbying for the role of clark gable..

11. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

What is really more important are good roles and characters for women actors. Swank was really lucky (or blessed depending on how the situation was) to land this role that got her her second Oscar.

~Edwin

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

No, I'm not kidding. Have you ever read the play? Seen it? Know anything about the character (who isn't named "Marilyn" and isn't an actress)?

There's a big difference between the "role of" and a role "based on".

M.