What's new

Hiil Street Blues (1 Viewer)

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the first season of "The Hill Street Blues" today and was very disappointed with the quality of the packaging and double sided disks.The first set I opened had a scratched disk and a broken hub.The second thru the fifth set I opened had scratched disks and finger prints on the disks. What happened to your quality,Fox? I finally gave up and took a set with just finger prints on the disks just to get the set.Also why did you go to two sided disks rather then dual layer single sided disks? I sure hope you resolve your quality issues and hope you go back to single sided disks!
Thank you!
Richard A. Ringenbach
[email protected]

Terry H

Second Unit
Well, I hate to say it but this review at dvdtalk:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19903
rates the video quality at 1.5 out of 5. :frowning: I call that piss poor.
I really enjoyed this show back in the day but if this really is dvd-18 as Richard indicates that is just the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. I have nothing but trouble with dvd-18. :angry:
Glad I waited for reviews.

Here's the dilemma: do we not purchase HSB:S1 due to the poor quality and risk Fox (who is notorious for doing this) abondoning the series because of poor sales or do we get it and suffer through the poor quality. I've already bought it before I knew about the quality issue and am about to watch it.
I've waited for this title since the inception of TV on DVD and would have bought it anyway, regardless of the quality. I don't like it as much as you guys, but in my eyes, beggers can't be choosers. I HATE that we're at the mercy of the studios in this way. Perhaps Fox is just testing the waters with this release and the later seasons will be better. I dunno. What I'm trying to say is PLEASE don't let this deter you from buying the set if you really want it. This is one series that deserves to be preserved on DVD.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have gone thru the first three episodes and the show looks about the way I remember it. So far no playback problems. It is so nice to be able to see this show uncut for the first time since the initial airings.

I miss the still shot of the police car when the show has commercial breaks. Other than that, it is about what I expected. I don't believe FOX did ANY remastering/restoration of these episodes.

Just glad to have it on disc. Finally. :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
See my Thread on Double sided disks to see what I think of them, so far thou I lucked out, better than I did with Time Tunnel. No Hubs Broken and No Scratched Disks. The Quality I thought is pretty good I watched these in Prime time and this was about how they looked. I just wish they did 5 DVD-9's

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Bought the set.

Watching it now. All seems ok here.

PLEASE BUY THIS SET! WE WANT ALL OF THE SEASONS!!!

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Watching the set now, the video looks great to me better the then re-runs I have seen on Court-TV and on other channels over the years.

When I was a kid watching the originals I don't ever remember it being that great video anyways, it was always dark and grainy to me.

The only problem I have is the missing still shot of the police car at the commercial breaks.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I also picked this up today, and I plan to buy future seasons, if they're produced.

Now, when are we gonna get St. Elsewhere?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

10-4, Derek. I'm going to get all of this series. After reading some early "reviews" on the video, it's sounding better for those of use who are waiting for the mail on this one.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The video quality looks fine to me -- about the same as the other MTM hour-long shows released by Fox. The double-sided discs are a bummer, though, as usual.

And yes, the MTM kitten is there, complete with hat.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I've watched side A of the first disc and while there is an intermittent "soft focus" at times it's very fleeting!

I don't think you can expect a pristine looking version of HILL ST as that's was never the look.

I must agree much better looking that the reruns i've seen though.

StephenALT

Agent
I'm only halfway through the second episode and so far so good. In fact, it's great. I'm prob. more lenient than the average post-er when it comes to video quality, but I agree with David when he says that the show never had a pristine look in the first place. I'm just amazed it is as good as I remembered, since sadly most things arent't!!

Now here's what's bothering me (besides the missing still shot of the police car at the commercial breaks): Taurean Blacque's VO's for the teasers. The ones on the DVDs feel kinda fabricated (like they were recreated for the DVD, which is highly unlikely) and I thought they used Blacque as the announcer from Day One (Bochco even mentions it in the audio commentary). To me, the episode didn't begin with the title card for "Roll Call"; it began with Taurean saying, "Previously on Hill Street Blues"!

By the way, is it my imagination or did Bochco, Sikking, and Spano sound a little sleazy on the commentary?

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Commentary was a bit of a snooze. Getting Goldblum was quite the coup! ;)

Too bad they couldnt get Travanti for commentary.

I hear that he was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Who cares though ... He was perfect in that role.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think Travanti had a bit of a big head especially considering the biggest roles he go before the series was along the lines of the Hippy Space Biker in Lost in Space.

The Previews on the Disk were created for the Syndicated run of HSB's in the 90's I'm actually Kinda surprised they are on there.

Also I like the Way Fox is Pimping Dennis Franz on the Back Cover as he Does'nt turn up a "Norman Buntz" unitl the Last 2 years of the Show (When it really Does become the Norman Buntz show) He does do a turn early on as a Crooked Cop, but it's a bit misleading to the consumer. Geez why did'nt they just put Caruso on the Cover too ? At least he's in there as Gang Leader of the Shamrocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks