Highwaymen

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Justin_S, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Seeing how Robert Harmon is responsible for my third favorite film of all time (The Hitcher), I have been dying to see this film for a good while now. Its fantastic to see him returning to the road horror film after all these years, and the film's premise sounds wonderful. Its a shame that its getting a very limited release, but I am so happy that it is hitting Texas. Really lucky break for me, especially considering this is one of my more anticipated genre films in a good while. Can't wait to check it out Friday. The poster looks fantastic, and hopefully New Line won't change it for the DVD.

[​IMG]

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

One look at that trailer and I was pretty intrigued by this flick. How fortunate that its sparse release pattern intersects your residence! [​IMG]

I suspect most of us will have to wait for the DVD, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Looking forward to your review! Seeing it Friday?

3. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing it Friday. I've been seeing a decent amount of TV spots for it, but I'm guessing they're only showing these in the release areas.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I saw it last night. The film opens with a really cool and well done scene of sadistic violence, so the film grabs you from the get-go, and its a great precursor to the events to come. Cavaziel delivers a restrained, subtle performance, and I have to say it works well in the confines of this film. The lovely Mitra is fine, though she has some bad lines in one particular scene, but that's not her fault at all. Colm Feore is good as Fargo, though he's at his best when we're relegated to just hearing his creepy taunts over the CB radio. Frankie Faison is good as the traffic investigator, and the comedy that his character brings to the table actually works, especially at the very end of the film.

The film's score is fantastic, and very moody. I loved it. There are also some wonderful scenes of vehicle carnage, and the cinematography is quite good.

There are a few problems with the film, the main one being the short runtime. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and it should have been longer. Also, the shortness made for a lack of character development. I would've liked to have had more time with Feore developing his sadistic character especially. There is also some bad dialogue as I already mentioned, but thankfully, its just a bit. Only other problems were one sort of unrealistic scene, and one scene where a character did something pretty stupid.

Still, I got much enjoyment out of this film, and would definitely recommend it. As I said, it has a few flaws, but the film is still a great time despite them. While not on par with the masterful The Hitcher, this is a solid if slightly flawed effort. I'll be getting the DVD.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the review, Justin. I read a few others at RT today and they were generally unenthuiastic about it. Maybe they're not horror fans... [​IMG]

I was quite surprised when I saw that the running time was 70-some minutes! How crowded was the screening?

Looking forwared to the DVD.

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I wanted to see the movie since I first saw the trailer to the movie on the Final Destination 2 DVD. Too bad New Line gave it a limited release (after bumping it from the release schedule twice last year). I will be watching this one on DVD. I'm thinking the short running time might have to do with some scenes being cut (it's one explaination to why the movie has a short running time of 70 something minutes).

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

7. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

I've wanted to see this movie since I saw the trailer, if only because I'm a Caviezel fan. I think I read somewhere that if it does good enough in the limited places it's playing that they might extend it's release. Is that at all true? I remember Lion Gate's doing something like that with House of 1,000 Corpses last year. Will the rest of us REALLY have to wait for the DVD to see it?

8. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Besides me and my two friends, there were about 11 other people at the screening. Hopefully New Line will give it a quality DVD. If anything was cut out, those scenes are a must for the disc.