What's new

Highlander (2 Viewers)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you can go home again, sometimes. Unexpected movie news that there may be a new Highlander film, and, due to certain people being involved, it has a chance of being good.

“The new Highlander movie is going to start shooting sometime later this year in Eastern Europe,” reports actor Adrian Paul. “David Abramowitz is putting the final touches on to the script, and once approved it will go into pre-production later this year. I have always said that I would never do another one unless I had more control over the product. Well, this time I am executive-producing it. Brett Leonard is set to direct. Be ready to see a new Highlander film, one that has the quality of the television series with a new sound and look for 2006. Everyone is excited to be able to produce something that will revamp such a successful franchise. Once the rights fell back to Davis-Panzer after the dimise of Dimension Films, Peter Davis approached me to star and executive produce. Watch here (www.adrianpaul.net) for more details as they are announced.”

Highlander, the original film starring Christopher Lambert, was not intended to launch any sequels, and when it did people really wished it hadn’t - not one but two terrible sequels are best left ignored.

Fortunately the concept was revived in a big way with an excellent television series starring Adrian Paul that lasted several seasons. After the tv series ended they managed to make one last film, Highlander IV: Endgame, which starred Adrian Paul and which sort of carried on the tv series while also giving a sendoff to the original film’s Christopher Lambert.

Very few people saw Highlander IV: Endgame, and as Adrian Paul noted he felt he wouldn’t ever want to do it again. The problem was that Highlander had grown into a refined, dramatic action saga thanks to the television series, but the people funding the film were not aware of that and instead expected some sort of kung fu movie.

As such Highlander IV: Endgame never felt entirely done… two different recipies were thrown together, but the baking time wasn’t the same…

Fans of the tv series moved on to other refined action series like 24 or MI-5 ("Spooks” in the UK), or Alias, and expected they’d never see the day when Adrian Paul would again wear his trademark dark trenchcoat and pick up a blade.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I don't know...I hate that Connor was offed in the last one...he is Highlander to me.

But, I'm still excited for this one, as I did enjoy the TV show when it was on. I'll definately be checking it out.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
True, but Adrian Paul is well established from the TV series (which, BTW, does a better job of continuing the mythology better than any of the sequels), and probably will do fine as the main guy.

Read on Dark Horizons that they are planning three more films. We'll see...

Jason

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Rather than sequels, I hope they just write a "from scratch" trilogy and pretend the earlier movies and TV series never existed.... thats what I've been trying to do.

Still trying to wash planet Zeist from my brain.......

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
IMO Adrian Paul ("Duncan McLeod") embodies the dignity and the struggle of being an immortal so much better.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Speaking of that, I have a coworker who has never seen the original cut of Highlander 2. He actually had no idea how much of a travesty the original cut was and didn't even know about Zeist. He actually would like to see it, to see how bad it was. Anyone know where I can pick up a cheap VHS copy of the original cut? (Obviously, not on DVD.)

Jason

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
just plead with him to never watch it. If he must tell him to look at the nearest Movie trading type store I'm sure he could take the one copy holding the front door open.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There is a blog by actor Adrian Paul describing his experiences as he films the next Highlander movie at Adrianpaul.net. I can't say he's a terribly gifted writer or anything, but you can still get a taste of the absolute hell that it must be to be filming in a distant Baltic country for budgetary reasons. They're north of Poland, and it is winter.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

That said, Endgame did not treat the character of Connor very well, and had several continuity errors of its own. If more of the series people are involved, hopefully more won't occur and a better movie is made.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. Hard to get excited about this ... the series was in the middle of the "cheap action" phase that TV got started (Hercules, Xena, Highlander were in this period). The drama was good sure, but the fight chorography was not always so great (that's why I call it the cheap action phase). That made it hard to like, because if you're going to bother you might as well bother to do it right.

Plus there were two whole movies that ... well ... sucked hard. When Christopher Lambert came to DragonCon a few years back, one of the questions he took from the audience was "I was wondering if you could comment on any experiences filming Highlander 2". Lambert's response was priceless and got a standing ovation from the 4K plus people in the room. "Highlander what? What movie? I don't know that movie, sorry .. I have no idea what you're talking about."

But, all that aside, a good Highlander movie could be cool. Willing to entertain the possibility; guess we'll wait for a trailer and some reports on the film's cut.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Adrian's blogs sound like the movie is a disaster. Hard to make a coherent picture when you're not getting the footage you need.

We shall see in the final cut...

Definitely agree that besides the first movie, which is a favorite, the TV series had a lot "truer" feeling.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am in... I hope it is better then the last.............. But then again it is highlander...... I love the first one the best..... and I really liked the t.v. series...

R~

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I have to admit to some odd curiosity about how the TV series improved on the continuity and mythology as compared to the movies (I saw 2 and 3 and hated them, never saw Endgame). Can anyone recommend a good fan Website about the series that would give some overviews and information?

Also, has anyone seen the "renegade version" of Highlander 2? How does it compare to the theatrical release (which is in my top 10 of worst films ever)?

It's too bad they didn't stop with one film, but artistic integrity doesn't make the world go 'round.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Michael,

The Renegade Version is still a bad movie, but that being said it is tremendously better than the theatrical release version.

As for the series...they did some nice work there. It basically ignores the fact that in the first film, Connor was the last one and goes from there (ignoring all other theatrical films other than Endgame. The incidents from the first film did take place in the series mythology, just not the part about Connor being the last.

The series follows a different MacLeod...Duncan.

Duncan is about 70 years younger than Connor and from the same clan. He had heard while, growing up, legends of Connor MacLeod, who could not die...but thought they were just that...legends.

Later when Duncan is found out to be immortal as well, Connor seeks him out and trains him in much the same way that Ramirez did for him in the movie.

The series then starts to examine what a person would be like if they were allowed this long a life. To have this much time to mature and evolve.

That is, once you get past the first season (that one was pretty formulaic). I loved this series, but most will agree that it "jumped the shark" with the season five finale.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Adrian Paul's blog is now recounting the final week of the shoot for the new Highlander film.

Read the entire blog here at adrianpaul.net
http://www.adrianpaul.net/current/thesource.shtml

(I apologize if anyone feels this thread is needlessly touting the film's blog, but believe it or not the official Highlander film site over at www.highlander-thesource.com never posted Adrian Paul's blog entries, so essentially only die-hard fans even knew to look to his own website to find them. I hope my messages here informed a few more fans.)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I wonder if that refers to the effects only, or the quality of the overall movie because the original Highlander is heads above anything that came after (so far).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks