What's new

Highlander Video Quality (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just watched Highlander on dvd about a week ago and I could not get over how bad this movie looked. Now I haven't watched this movie for a long time, so I am wondering. Did this dvd release always look overly grainy and horible. Or is it my dvd that is suffering from laser rot or something? I enjoy this movie so if it is a picture quality issue then I will definantly be looking into replacing it with an HD version. Once this film is available in HD and hopefully it will not take to long for that to happen.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Which version did you watch? There were several, and the very first (non-anamorphic) was notoriously bad.

M.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
As far as i know both versions of this movie have been noted for bad image quality with the immortal edition being better than the older republic disc.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
The older disc is horrid, but the newer "Immortal Edition" one is pretty good (and likely the best the film will probably ever look). I just recently revisited this one (love this movie!) and was not distracted by any PQ issues.

But, yeah, if we're talking the old Republic disc - it's definitely an abomination.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have the 10th Anniversary Director's Cut of Highlander and it has the Lumiere and Republic Picture logos on the case. The funny thing is there is a THX disc so for it to look that bad and say THX is sad.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
:angry:

So I it sounds like this edition is a horrible pressing of this movie. I think I may just wait for an HD version to come out before replacing this SD-DVD. I guess at that time I will try to add Highlander 2 as well. I didn't care for Highlander 3, they messed that movie up and changed the story line. :thumbsdown:

Not sure how the story line gets set up where it all leads up to only two imortals fighting and there only being one. Then they come out with Highland 3 that was just a weak and poorly done movie :eek:

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I always thought that the Anchor Bay version(s) looked pretty damn good.

JamesTLewis

Agent
Real Name
James Lewis
I have all the available releases and The Best video quality release by far is still the UK PAL version from Metrodome/Studio Canal, $3 in most UK stores and It has the ORIGINAL Sound mix... You can see the notes on it in "My DVD Collection" link. Scroll to highlander, highlander collectors pack and highlander Immortal edition for more info....

And yes, the first R1 release is truly appaling. It was bad back then , but now.. when I can produce better looking DVD's from my home movies! Man, it sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks