What's new

Highlander V? (1 Viewer)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Yes, it's true.

I received a call from the people at the Highlander merchandise company a few months back. They told me a 5th movie would be coming out (supposedly) this fall and would spin off a new TV series.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Try to bear in mind that the Highlander merchandisers are renowned for making up anything on the spot to sell their wares. They're just telemarketers, they have no info about the show, and half the time even get the name of the show wrong (calling it "The Highlander" rather than "Highlander".

Sebastien S

Second Unit
True enough. However, I see no reason why they would make up a new movie or TV series?

I'm sure it's true, except that their probably WAAAAAAY off on the release date period of the two...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Apparently, this franchise does want to live forever. So, will this one follow tradition and ignore everything that's happened since the first film?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
This is kind of off-topic, but maybe you guys can answer this for me.

I've only seen the original Highlander. How can there possibly be any sequels?

As I understood it, the immortals fight each other in one-on-one combat and kill each other by beheading. This continues until there are only two left. Then the two remaining immortals fight until there is one winner. "There can be only one" and all that. Christopher Lambert is that one. Are all the sequels actually prequels or something?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You don't really want to know the answer to that question.. because so far, they've all been bad.

I always thought the best way to do it was to just do ala the series.. just dismiss the movie and roll with the concept in a slightly different way..

Because continuing it as it goes from the first goes nowhere... except disaster (Ziest!)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
I've figured for quite a while there would be another movie. Seems like back whenthe last one was made, they said it was just made to to get the opening for duncan to move on to movies and it was just more of a set up for that.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, that's always been the problem with Highlander, as far as capitalizing on its cult success, was how do you make a sequel? Unfortunatly, the movie sequel attempts have been pretty dismal. It is why I have a button that says, "Highlander movies: There should only be one." :D

As what someone else said, the TV series was the best attempt out there, basically ignoring the ending of the film, and have that not be the last battle, that there are more immortals out there.

Jason

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
"Highlander" was the big Missed Opportunity in terms of franchise potential. Here you have a fantasy epic with characters that can appear in any time period, engage in violent duels, ache over being Immortal and leaving loved ones behind, and still have enough romantic pablum to satisfy multiple demographics.

Only the TV series really came close to capturing the possibilities. Some of the story threads were very well done. I enjoyed it.

Theatrically, it's been a train wreck. I was decent, II was a travesty, III was a cartoon, and IV was a mishmash of poorly executed, B-movie ideas.

A fifth movie is being attempted, but it's far more likely a Sci-Fi Channel miniseries will make it out of the gate first. I really have no idea how they plan to continue things, as both Lambert and Adrian Paul are pretty much past their expiration dates as action heroes.

I would be very interested to see what this concept could become in the hands of more capable producers.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
What they should do first with this franchise is get a great story with a great villian. The Kurgan was a good villian because you hated him and there was lots of history between him and the hero.

I still think Highlander as a concept still has not been done right. With the right cast and crew, you could make one amazing picture. In another post I will say what I think should be done. I just so badly want a Highlander film to come out and kick everyone's ass hard

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Reviving a very old thread..

Well, this film did finally come to life, and has been released... on SciFi television tonight. I missed the first hour, god knows when I will catch this.

This is a dumping ala Starship Troopers 2.

Never mind. I watched 10 minutes and realized I do not need to watch any more. Dear god, why didn't the actors walk off? At least Highlander the Series keeps the fun of the concept alive.. this movie is Highlander 2 level bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks