What's new

HIGHLANDER: The Series officially announced! (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
The first season of Highlander: The Series on DVD has been announced for release on December 10, 2001!
The Link Removed

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I have never really watched the series. But, since I want to support tv on dvd and I am intersted in the show. I will probably buy it. But, will any other etailers be carrying it? $129 seems a little steep.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Eventually it'll be offered to retail, but not until they've milked the fans off the website. Give it 3-6 months
Jeff Kleist

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'll buy it... but NOT at $129 + S&H.
I'll wait until it hits the etailers shelves and sells for

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
It's a little high, but I'll probably get it for my brother in time for Christmas.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Has the customer spoken?
When they originally announced Highlander: The Series on DVD, it was to have been a "best of" box.
I'm glad it is a season box instead.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Best-of box was being done first as a sort-of "test", but since nobody ordered it, they canned it for the full Season 1
wink.gif

The full details from The Digital Bits
The official Highlander website has just revealed that Highlander: Season One will arrive on DVD on December 10th. You can order it there now for $129.95. The 8-disc set will contain all 22 first season episodes of the TV series, along with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 sound, a "Slate button" feature that lets you access newly created on-camera commentary from executive producer Bill Panzer for each episode, a "Watcher Chronicles button" feature that opens biographical and historical information on each episode's mortals, Immortals, weaponry and the Watchers themselves, "Flashback buttons" that activate each episode's flashback scenes, a " Q button" that takes you straight to the Quickening, a blooper reel, a behind-the-scenes featurette (the original series promo created to launch the show's first season) and a CD-ROM of all of the scripts for the first season's episodes.
Pretty good extras if you ask me
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on November 13, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I wonder when they will call me and offer me free stuff along with the set. They did it for all the VHS sets, which of course I bought back then.
------------------
smiley_spidey.gif
Frank
filmstrip.jpg
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true

The official site has now updated with all the details on the Season 1 release, as well as a picture of the set!
I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many supplements on these discs as I really only expected a bare bones release from DavisPanzer. Definately elevates it to a "must buy".
And for the Highlander Store, this set is priced pretty well. I was expecting to be gouged for more. They really jacked the price of those VHS sets back in the day. And the set looks pretty nice too. Another surprise. Very cool indeed...
I wonder what their release schedule will be for the other seasons...
Jonathan
------------------
Tracker List

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
This is a nice gift for HL fans. I really despise the feature film series, but have fond memories of watching the syndicated program daily on USA some years back. While the producers of this franchise seem to drop the ball more often than not, there are enough memorable episodes to make pursuing a collection worthwhile.
However, if all six seasons are each priced at over $100, this is going to be a very costly pursuit.
I'll consider it, but in the meantime, I'll keep on hoping the intellectual property owners seek out a *very* accomplished writer to turn their great source material into a great flick. For once.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Donna Letto, of the Highlander crew (script supervisor or something), wrote the following about the new DVDs and shared it on the newsgroup:
I wanted to pass along that I spoke to Bill Panzer this afternoon, and he's quite excited about the DVDs, which are finished and being pressed (or burned or whatever -- neither of us is very up on our DVD technology jargon ) even as we speak and will be ready to ship as promised on December 10.
One of the things he's quite pleased about (in addition to my contributions, of course ) is that he had the opportunity to go back and color match the picture and remix the sound for two different sound formats (don't ask me which -- it's DVD jargon again and I was having trouble keeping up ) -- he says the DVDs will look and sound better than his own original digital masters. He was also pleased to hear from the tech guys who created the DVDs -- who've created the DVD releases of a number of TV series and films -- that the Highlander DVDs are among the best they've seen.
A mailer has been sent out to the catalog mailing list with more information about the DVDs (and probably has more of that DVD jargon that I know some of you are looking for) which should arrive by the end of next week.
And I don't say this as blackmail , but he did confirm that initial sales of Season 1 will be an indicator of whether we all go through this again for the later seasons. So I'm on hold until a decision is made, probably around the first of the year.
I didn't mean for this post to sound quite so much like an infomercial, but so be it

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I called the Highlander Store yesterday, I really want this set (and the future ones). I wanted to take advantage of their "up to 25% off" offer (that's for orders of $500 or more but it should have been 10% off for orders over $100). But the season one DVD set was not part of the offer.

They also would not let me use my 10% off with my Clan membership. Needless to say I did not get it. $130 plus shipping is to much. I guess I will wait till they have a sale or someone calls me with a special offer like they did with the VHS sets.

Nigel Lata-Burston

Auditioning
This is the release of the year for me - excellent news. I just hope that the demand for the box set is high enough for all 6 seasons to be released on DVD. This is definitely a series which rewards the faithful viewer....very much like Stargate SG1 in that respect, i.e. characters popping up unexpectedly, threads from seasons ago reappearing, etc.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on which edition of the series, the US or European, will be on the DVDs? I recall when it was being made that there were allegedly two different edits for each episode, with the Euro cut maybe allowing some things that couldn't be shown on US TV. (Not that I'm just curious about, say, nude scences with Tessa. :D ) I really enjoyed the series when it was broadcast and would be very interested in the DVDs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're the European cuts. Like Farscape, Highlander has only released the longer cuts on video. From what I've been told, these are the official edits of the episodes, and the US version is truncated to allow for more commercials

I'm rather concerned about the sales of this series on DVD. If what Will writes is correct, the *initial* sales will determine if DavisPanzer proceeds with future seasons. Most Highlander fans would agree that the later seasons are of particular keenness.

The price of the series is fine, but there aren't any opportunities for a discount since it's from the Highlander Store, which makes it appear to be overpriced. So some folks are waiting for it to be available through other avenues for purchase. Plus, dealing with the HL store can sometimes be a nightmare.

In any event, for purely selfish reasons, I'm encouraging anyone sitting on the fence to go ahead and make this purchase. It seems like a really good package they've put together for this release, and I'm going to try to encourage them to go ahead with the rest of the seasons.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks