What's new

Highlander: The Final Dimension IS Anamorphic!! (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I apologize if someone brought this up recently. It's peak time and Search was disabled:

For those who care, last week's re-release of Highlander: The Final Dimension really IS in anamorphic widescreen! It's 2.35:1, not 1.85:1 like the box says though.
I'd read reviews of the original release of the DVD stating it wasn't anamorphic.
Well, after testing the newly released DVD this aftrnoon the new release definitely IS anamorphic. It says "Enhanced for 16x9 Tv's" on the box, but I was afraid it was BS like Disney supposedly did with Judge Dredd. ( I'd read that later stock of Judge Dredd says it's anamorphic, but it isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong on that and I'll pick one up:) )
The disc is pretty bare bones, but apparently a new transfer if the old one was non-anamorphic!!
This is refreshing considering the recent non-anamorphic WS release of The Ref.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Are you sure that you're player isn't just automatically scaling the non-anamorphic image? Many people have mistakenly reported many Buena Vista re-releases as anamorphic for this reason.

DJ

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yes; I'm quite sure. My player has ZERO scaling abilities (unfortunately) and my TV locks into Full when it receives a progressive signal.
If it had been non-anamorphic, the picture would have been out of proportion (people looking short and fat, circles becoming horizontal elipses and such). I really thought it would be non-anamorphic when I saw the black bars knowing the label says it is1.85:1, but there was no such distortion. I pick up on distortion quite quickly like I did with my "2 Days in the Valley" the other week which says "Enhanced for widescreen Tv's" but isn't at all. That was upsetting.
THIS Highlander 3 release is truly anamorphic 2.35:1. They even re-did the menu in anamorphic it appears.
I ordered from DeepDiscount DVD at a good price compared to what it used to sell for. I am SO glad I cancelled my backordered copy at DVDsoon and waited for the March 4 release.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The box says it is. I didn't check on my receiver to make sure it really was for all that I watched of it.
I was under the impression it was DD 5.1 for the first DVD release. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'll try to remember to check the disc to make sure since we know we can't trust what they print on boxes!!
I believe its also dual-layer. I don't know that the original release was.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
speaking of buena vista anamorphic rereleases....I just saw Good Will Hunting CE in anamorphic today. I thought that was originally non anamorphic

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Yeah, there GWH had a non-anamorphic version. I don't know about the designations as far as CE or anything.
I just know because they did a comparison on a website about anamorphic using Good Will Hunting as an example because it had a non-anamorphic and an anamorphic release.
I wonder if the procucers or directors make special requests to get these re-releases that are identical to the originals save for being anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks