Highlander Season 1 DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Morrow, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone received theirs yet? Have they started to ship?

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Mine shipped on the 19th. Hope to get it on Monday.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The first reviews are coming in to the highlander newsgroup. Here's one from "lynn":
    I've only watched the first three episodes (though I did some other disc browsing) so the disc-quality comments are limited to disc 1 and are subject to change as I watch the rest.
    General format of the discs is that discs 1-7 each have three episodes. Each episode's menu has five or six chapter stops, plus:
    The slate: some comments from Bill Panzer on the making of the episode. These aren't long; about a minute or two each.
    Watcher button: the Watcher chronicles stuff from each episode. I had trouble reading the longer entries on my TV screen -- the print was just too small -- the shorter entries are quite readable, but the longer stuff is best viewed on DVD ROM on your computer.
    The Q button: you can skip right to the Quickening, for episodes that have one.
    Disc 8 has "The Hunters" plus the first blooper reel, and that "Making Of" promo that came free with one of the tape sets. Disc 9 is a CD-ROM (not DVD-ROM) with the scripts in Flash format.
    The episodes are full screen, with two soundtracks, Dolby 5.1 and the original 2.0 stereo mix. Check your audio settings if you want the enhanced audio -- the default appears to be the 2.0 soundtrack. No subtitles. There
    is no region code marked on the box anywhere, so if you are in not in North America but have a TV on which you can watch NTSC discs, it might work, I don't know. [note: rumor is the discs ARE encoded as Region 1]
    Quality (as I said, this applies to disc 1 only):
    Audio -- the 5.1 mix is very sweet. (I didn't listen to the 2.0 mix, but I'm guessing it's the same as the tape sets.) They didn't go overboard on the remixing, but effects like the "buzz" sound really cool. The high and low
    ends balance nicely, and the score is integrated well into the mix. The dialogue has never sounded clearer. So far, the audio gets an easy A, with many extra points for doing the 5.1 remix. Other TV episode DVD sets (not to mention any names, but Stargate) really suffer for not doing a 5.1 mix. And finally, no crackles!
    Video -- Generally, the video is bright and colorful -- much, much better than the tapes. There are a few transfer artifacts here and there, but they don't really detract from the overall appearance. There is some edge enhancement in a some places, and unfortunately, the only Q effects in "The Gathering" (the only episode so far with a Q) do suffer a bit here -- without the grain of video to help, they just look a little too sharp and not quite as "real." I tend to think this will improve over the episodes, as the effects generally did improve as time went on. The sepias in the Scotland flashback in "Family Tree" look quite good, and the bright colors in the China FB in "Road Not Taken" are incredible. (And man, is that green jacket BRIGHT!) I am a bit sorry they didn't reformat for 16x9... in a few years (okay, maybe 10) our square sets will be mostly gone, and we'll be watching
    HL with big black bars on the sides forevermore, but c'est la vie, I guess.
    Not perfect, but overall, pretty darn good, at least so far. B+ for video.
    One note -- based on what Bill Panzer had said when they canceled the "Best of" DVD set, I thought they'd be integrating that supplemental material [that they had created for the "best of"s] into the DVD sets of each season as they were released, but the extra stuff isn't
    there for "Band of Brothers," the only [episode from season 1 that was originally slated to have been part of the "Best of" set]. I was a bit disappointed in this, and I hope for future seasons they'll include that extra material with any "Best of" episodes, for example, "Legacy" in season 2 (and maybe even include BoB there as well) -- unless they find more stuff like the extras on disc 8 in this set (besides the other blooper reel, nothing else really comes to mind that's already produced) they shouldn't have trouble fitting those extra few minutes onto the discs.
    Anyway, I'll add to this if anything else comes to mind as I'm watching the rest of the discs. Oh, Mary's right -- the outside box is pretty flimsy cardboard, but the discs themselves are safely enclosed in standard plastic DVD holders.
    Lynn
    Mailto: [email protected]

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Mary reports a slight audio sync problem, but she doesn't say what brand of player she is using or which audio tracks she is using... might be nothing to be concerned about:
    Hi
    watching Innocent Man and I am noticing that the voice track is off a bit maybe 1 or 2 seconds just enough to notice.. I have not noticed this on others I have to look at all of the episodes before this and after this one
    Mary

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'm currently debating ordering the set, $128 is a lot of cash, but then again I love Highlander, AND I just got smacked for $260 for Macross. Hmmmmmm, MAYBE if I can get it for $99. How much are they charging for shipping?

7. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I know, I want this set but 129.00 is just too much. I try to support TV series on DVD and I have all of the X-Files sets. They are under 100.00, and cheaper if you shop around on DVD Price Search. I will wait to see if it gets released to other sales outlets and if that doesn't happen then I'll bite the bullet.

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Call the Highlander Store 800-959-2481, tell them you want someone to call you back with a better offer on the season one DVD set. They will pass on the message. With some pestering you can get them to call you back within 5 minutes. The person you call at the 800 number can not (or will not, I do not know which) make the offer, someone else has to call you back.
    They offer the set for $99 plus $3 off there regular shipping which I think puts it in the $10 range. All together it reduces the cost by $33. I hope to get my set tomorrow as it did not come on Monday. I will have to agree the cost is a little high but in my opinion worth it since I really like the series. I also like the features the DVD's have and of course are much better than my old VHS sets (which cost me more when I bought them).
    As far as I know the DVD set will probably never be offered by anyone else other than The Highlander Store or eBay. However, someone else on the forum mentioned they saw the VHS sets for sale in a store so the DVD's may get there one day. I did ask the sales guy if the sale of season one would decide on future sets and he said yes. He did mention they sales were good and the probability for the other seasons was high. But that may have been just a sales pitch answer so who knows.
    I just hope M*A*S*H TV series season one sells well and they offer the rest and hopefully one day Warner will get their shit together and do Babylon 5. Maybe someone here can explain to me if there is a fear of something not selling well why not just make less? Instead of making 1 million copies make 500,000? You are bound to sell some and therefore make money. If you don't make any you won't make any money.

9. Jeff Kleist

That was me "Sword of Whedon", and yes, it's true that they're jacking us big time
    The computer at *NAME REMOVED TO PROTECT THE GUILTY* specifically listed the sets at $149.99 retail, cost of $75
    $109 for the set, hmmmmm, let's see how my Ebay sales go [​IMG]
    I'll get it eventually anyway
    As far as things selling enough, it's a matter of covering their production costs and making it worth their time to devote their people to the task. A full season TV box is a lot of work (typically 4-6 months!) and that's a lot of time on any disc.

10. Alex Morrow

Good news, I got my set on monday, so I'm quite happy now. I'm at work and I'm soon to be watching the episodes on the first disc. They sure don't make it look like it'll ever get to stores. There's no UPC code on these discs at all.

11. Jeff Kleist

Please do post a review, that will probably determine whether I buy now or later

12. Alex Morrow

I watched the first episode here at work. The intro documentaries are a nice feature and somewhat informative. The video shows its age on dvd. For what I remember this is a very accurate reproduction of the original broadcast. You can see the lack of lighting in some areas. It looks like I'll be enjoying the dvds though. I've wanted this series for a while on dvd and it's worth it to me to pay their price. All I have to do is remember paying close to $150 for the Brazil criterion laserdisc and anything else pales in comparison. Unfortunately I'm using the dvd player in my computer here so the video compression is pretty bad on my processor. I need to test it out on my player at home to see what it really looks like. If you want the collection I don't see any better version coming down the pipe any time soon, so I'd recommend picking it up if you're a fan of the show. More later when I actually get to my home theater.

13. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

Are these packaged in keep cases?

14. Jeff Kleist

Yes, they're all keepcases. Check out Highlander-official.com for pics